65 hp merc cutting out and bogging down

rockytop93

Seaman
'75 merc 650 starts fine idles ok. when pushed to wot surges as it is running up to full rpm. At wot runs fine for a few minutes, then slows down suddenly to 2500 to 3000. moving throttle back and forth will not get it to speed up. Will be ok after sitting for a while, then same thing all over again. Choking causes it to die down, fuel prime bulb stays hard. New plugs.<br /> have taken carbs apart and cleaned. One thing, when testing coil first two tests in manual ok. Third test, tester between coil tower and ground showed nothing. Book says 57-74 ohms. If coil was bad wouldn't it cause problems at all speeds? How about stater in dist? Compression good all three clys. Has good spark all cyls. Hope someone can help

sharkcat

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 65 hp merc cutting out and bogging down

You are dropping a cylinder at WOT :( . Coils get hot & fail change the one that gave you the bad reading...Also check for corrosion at the ends of the plug leads.Hopefully this will solve your problems. :)

rockytop93

Seaman

I have suspected the coil since the checks didn't all pass. However this model engine has only one coil. Perhaps a new one would be worth trying. Thanks for your reply. Allen

sharkcat

Petty Officer 1st Class

I used to mechanic on offroad racing buggies.I have been caught out a couple of times trying to dianose a high speed miss after replacing plugs,leads,dist.caps,rotors,condensors the only thing left was the coil & you guessed it that was the culprit. :)