65 hp Johnson

Timbertim

Seaman Apprentice
I just boought a 65 horse, sn#VXL 14B, It's a 69 model . They fella I bought it from said all that was wrong was that it sat around for 4 yrs and need the carbs clean, thought would be fine but I can't get any spark, the elec. choke don't work and the selinoid won't kick the starter in. I shorted across the post to get it to turn over, I got juice to the choke and to the pink wire that goes in a box in the rear of the engine, looks like a solidstate box or something like that, should there be juice going thru one of the wires that go up and under the flywheel. I didn't want to pull the flywheel yet if I didn't have to.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: 65 hp Johnson

Sounds like you need a service manual.Your motor uses a CDI ignition if you trouble shoot incorrectly you can damage the components.No hot wires go up under the flywheel.The ignition is self generating on most outboards.There will be a kill switch wire.And wire(s) for the charging circuit.Kill switch wire may be black w yellow stripe.Someone should be along with better info but you really should get a manual.Sometimes you can find a manual at the library.Or you can buy one right here at iboats.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

I believe that there is a manual choke lever with three positions? It shoud be in the middle detent to allow the electric choke to operate.<br /><br />There are points under the flywheel that probably need cleaning. You have amplified ignition and that box is the amplifier. When the key is on, there should be power to it. be very careful when handling the distributor cap, they're very brittle. Make real sure your battery connections are clean and tight or you can fry that amp ($300+ part).<br /><br />There's a switch that prevents teh motor from starting, either when the gearshift is out of Neutral, but I think yours just prevents it from starting at anything above high idle. It has to be in Neutral with the throttle way down for the starter to engage.

Timbertim

Seaman Apprentice

Okay thanks guys. I think I'll try and locate a manual. I found oout that I had to have the throttle in low poss. to even get the selonoid to click,I'll try the choke poss. but still have to check for the kill switch. I notice the wiring was pretty brittle so will have to splice and tape some of them. I only have one pink wire that goes to the amplify that is hot. I'll check all this oout and get back here.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

your motor is a 68 model, first and only year for a 65hp v4.

Timbertim

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks jimmbo, I wasn't sure, it came on a 69 Fiberform. I suppose it will be hard to find parts for it. I notice that most Johnsons have the electric hookup harness on them, but this one just has the wires coming in and spreading out to different places. May have to junk it if it gets to be too big of a hassle.