65 HP Johnson won't start??

CuttingEdgeNY

Seaman Apprentice
I have a mid seventies 65 horse johnson outboard. It's a two stroke, and I can't get it to start. We just got it, so were trying to start it for the first time. The starter engages the flywheel, but only clicks, and won't turn. I jumped the starter directly with a batt charger, and the starter spins, but just doesn't engage the flywheel. We tried to spin the flywheel by hand with a wrench but it wouldn't spin. Should we be able to spin the motor by hand? How can we tell if the motor is in neutral? The shifter cable is frozen, so we can't tell when the motor is in neutral. Please help with any possible suggestions. Just some added info, the starter the first time the key is turned pops up to the flywheel, but doesn't go down, is this normal? Will it go back down if the motor kicks over?
Thanks again
Ken

SparkieBoat

Captain
Re: 65 HP Johnson won't start??

sounds like the motor is locked up, and also sounds like you do not have the knowledge needed to get it running, sounds like the motor will have multiple issues and will take someone with outboard experience to get it running. if you want, take it to an outboard shop and get a quote on what it will cost to get it running. it will probably be costly to get it running even with out labor cost parts can quickly add up to over $300-500, labor will usually be about $100 an hour. my advice would be to buy a motor already running 80s model or newer, I see them a lot for around $500.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Your motor should spin by hand. If you try to do that again, spin the flywheel in a clockwise direction, looking down. If it will not move, either the powerhead is frozen, or something is locking the driveshaft. The latter scenario would most likely involve a major problem in the gearcase.

If the motor is a 70s model 65hp, it is either a 1972 model or a 1973 model. The 1971 three cylinder model was a 60hp motor and the 1974 model was a 70hp model. The "triples" during the remainder of the 70s, were either 70hp or 75hp.

If your motor is a 1972 model, it has hydro-electric shift and if is it a 1973, it has hydro-mechanical shift. The first thing that you should do, is to find out which you have. Look on the data plate (port side transom bracket) - the '72 should be a 65ES72S or 65ESL72S and the '73 should be a 65ES73R or 65ESL73R. If you cant find the data plate there are a couple of other obvious differences. First, the '72 model with have a throttle cable only and a wire bundle, while the '73 model will have two cables (throttle & shift) and a wire bundle. The '72 also does not have a tilt tube, while the '73 does.

Let us know what you find out and we can go from there. One other thought, however - if someone sold you a frozen motor and didn't disclose that it is frozen, unless it was presented as a "parts motor," you have ample reason to be annoyed. Whether the seller will take it back or not, remains to be seen.

???

CuttingEdgeNY

Seaman Apprentice

Ok, Thanks for the advice guys. I will look into the shops but I just want to get a rough idea first. So the motor seems locked up, could that be that It might be in gear and I just don't know where neutral is. Could you still spin the motor if it was in gear?
I will also get those numbers out to you guys.
Thanks!

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Yes, you should still be able to turn the motor over, with it in gear.

If the motor is hydro-electric shift, it will default to forward, unless the engine is running. Moving the shift lever to the neutral, even if power is applied via the battery, will not shift it to neutral without the rotation in the gear box. This is true because there is a pump which creates hydraulic pressure to over come a spring loaded piston.

The 1973, hydro-mechanical gearbox is set up differently. I have never worked on one, so some of the other guys may correct me, but I believe that you can shift it to neutral, even without hydraulic pressure. This gearbox does not have the spring loaded piston that causes the "default to forward" feature. Even if you have a shift cable and it is frozen in its sheath, you should be able to disconnect it at the motor and shift into neutral by hand.

If this appears to be possible, remove all four spark plug wires and move them away from the plugs. Once this is done, shift the motor into neutral and try to rotate the prop. If you can not move it, you may have a problem in the gearcase, or you may still be in gear.

If the prop moves in neutral, but the flywheel still won't move by hand, chance are that your powerhead is frozen. If this is the case, you are most likely looking at a rebuild or a replacement powerhead.

???