64 90 hp lower unit

hitnrun1975

Cadet
i have 1964 90hp rude with elec shif and it will shift in to rev but not forward it gets a little resitance but not like it should. i have checked the draw and resitacne on the **** coil wires and took the gears and clutch out an inspected them and they all look goo i was wondering if the elec shift takes a special lube or not if that could be the problem any advice would be helpfull thank u Jon

angus63

Captain
Re: 64 90 hp lower unit

Electric shift requires special LU oil. Using anything else can lead to problems fast. Use "premium blend" OMC or type "C" if it's hydro electric.<br />Good luck

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: 64 90 hp lower unit

Merc also makes a gearlube called Premium Blend. But it's not the same stuff. Johnnyrude's is thinner and not as slippery. It needs to be thin to squeeze out of the gap between the clutch spring and gear, and it also has to be a little less slippery to allow the clutch spring to grab hold of the gear. Will you do damage? Probably not. But you'll have trouble getting things to hook-up positively without slipping. Your only choice is Johnnyrude's stuff. There is an aftermarket lube as well, but finding it is virtually impossible. There's no demand for it anymore, so nobody stocks it.