64 / 60hp Johnson vxl-10s

thedeeg918

Cadet
Hello:) I am new to this forum as well as boats. I have recently purchased an old boat that has been fitted with the 64 johnson . This my first boat so I know very little except for what I have learned from research recently.
The motor fires up readily ( starter is missing , so i get a good work out ) but does not like to idle. With persistence I can get it running long enough to put it into gear and get moving. At WOT it does very well. Seems to burn fuel quickly... how ever I lack the experience to know what is considered efficient. I am assuming that the carbs probably need overhauled and tuned. I added a pint of Sea Foam to the fuel when I took it out.
I am looking for input and / or advice on the situation. If anyone can help get me on the right track it would be great =D
Thank you

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 64 / 60hp Johnson vxl-10s

A poor idle can easily be the due to a dirty carb. Have you cleaned and gapped the points and changed the spark plugs? Is the thottle and spark advance synchronized properly?

thedeeg918

Cadet

I have not checked the points yet. I have been concerned about the possibility of tearing the gasket when I take it apart. I dont have a manual for the motor. I dont know what the gaps should be for the points. I have pulled a plug just to inspect it. It didnt look all that bad. I plan to pull each one to check the gap and clean it a bit. How ever it may just make more sense to buy 4 new ones. What kind / size plug it recommended for this motor ? I only ask in the event that the last owner used the wrong ones.... considering that they had air hose as the fuel lines, it is quite possible.

As far as the synchronizing of the throttle and spark advance... I have not learned anything about that yet.
I am having a hard time finding any sights that have available diagrams a/o schematics for the carb and electrical aspects of this motor.
Do you know where I can find any of this information on line?
Would you help me with the information / directions to check that throttle / spark sync ?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

There are many things that can be causing your problem. You need to do a preliminary troubleshooting before tearing into anything. Does it have good and equal compression on all cylinders? Does it have at least 1/4" spark on all cylinders? Is the belt timing correct? Have you tried adjusting the idle mixture screws? Yes, has somebody screwed up the synchronization?

They do burn a lot of gas. And a whole lot more if not running correctly. Correct spark plugs are J4J (now J4C). They are now hard to find, so if you must, use J6C.

We can advise you on repairs, but to give you a complete education on everything is kind of hard to do. You really need a service manual. The factory manuals are best, but be aware they are written for the dealer's shop and assume the reader has at least a basic knowledge of what he is doing. While not as good, I say the Seloc manuals are better for the novice because they explain a lot of stuff the factory book doesn't.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

As far as I know there is no gasket near the points. You should be able to remove the distributor pulley cover and set the timing marks to match and clean and gap the points to .020". Plugs are as F-R said and gapped at .030"

thedeeg918

Cadet

Thank you for that info. I really appreciate you all taking the time to help me out. :)
The current plugs are J6c and were very over gaped. I bought 4 new ones today ( J4c's )
It was raining today , so I didnt get out and tinker with it this evening, but I plan to check the compression and points this weekend . I do agree with you F_R , I need and manual for sure .
I do know that my timing belt is very worn and cracked. I will see if I can line up the timing marks on the fly wheel and mag pulley , see if they match up correctly.
Mean time I will search to buy a manual.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

If that motor is synched like my '58 Johnny V4, the flywheel will have a timing mark that needs to be aligned with the crankcase, the distributor pully will align with the pully base. Now advance the throttle until the distributor pully base align with the mark on the distributor bracket and the carb should just be starting to open.

BTW - Your motor may be different.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

One more thing, That process was from memory. I have not seen that motor is 15 years....I think I remember it though..

thedeeg918

Cadet

=D
excellent , thank you. I am about to go out and see what I can do to it.