63 rude 40hp no spark. where to start?

rennen

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I know you guys like Paul and CA have gone through this a million time, but I am running on one cylinder (top) and the bottom has no spark. Where should I start?<br />Thanks

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 63 rude 40hp no spark. where to start?

Pull the flywheel and verify that your points are properly gapped and the condenser is good for the dead cylinder.<br /><br />If they check out you may have a bad coil.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

Paul Moir

Admiral

Before that, disconnect and isolate the two small black wires that come down from up underneath the flywheel and see if spark returns. But it's more likely you've got trouble up underneath the flywheel like JB said.

rennen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Guys Ill do that tomorrow and report back.

rennen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Paul, by isolate do you mean check the resistance? Can you elaborate just a bit more?

DHPMARINE

Captain

rennen,<br /><br />before you go too far,do a compression test,and see if getting spark to that cylinder is necesary.<br /><br />DHP

Paul Moir

Admiral

I mean disconnect them and tape them off so they connect to nothing, not even each other. That will bypass all the kill/stop switches, safety switches, and boat wiring to make sure they're not the problem.<br />A compression test is a good idea too. No sense throwing good money after bad.

rennen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Perfect thanks for your help Paul.

rennen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well you were right.<br /><br />I pulled the flywheel(which was a bit@#) and immediately noticed that the coil for the dead cylinder was blown. The other coil looked new. Points and condensers looked new as well. I decided to replace all of the points condensers wick and bad coil, since I was in there anyways. <br /><br />One question. There was only one wick and one wick holder. My tune up kit came with two wicks. Am I missing a wick holder? If I am should I replace it? Will it affect the motor much?<br /><br />Thanks Guys for all your help,<br />Sal

itstippy

Chief Petty Officer

There's just one wick and one wick holder. Whoever packed your kit was feeling generous.

Paul Moir

Admiral

The "blown" coil - does it look like it's gotten hot/melted? Or just cracked from age?<br /><br /><br />Count yourself lucky you got any wick at all! :)

rennen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It looks like it was cracked from age/conditions. <br /><br />GOSH what a horrible day.<br /><br />After spending the nearly 4 hours to change the points and coil (because this bolt was too short, and that screwdriver broke etc.) I was really anxious to get it on the water to test it out. <br /><br />Right off the bat it was still dragging *** so I wondered if I had done something wrong. I went to a secluded part of the river and started testing the motor out. <br /><br />Pulled the top wire: nothing happens (not even a rpm change)<br />Pulled the bottom wire: Died<br /><br />So now my spark iS gone in the top cylinder not the bottom... GREAT!<br /><br />Next problem... Putting back to shore about half throttle, when I hear this absolute horrible noise. BANG! I thought I hit ground or a log... I was far from shore and there was nothing behind me... I lose all momentum even though the motor is in gear. DEAD IN THE WATER for 2 minutes. The motor was still running and nothing was happening. Then all of the sudden clunk back into gear and off I went. <br /><br />It seemed like the Prop spun or something because going over wakes the motor revved really high, but stayed the same speed.<br /><br />Needless to say its not running like it did before and I have no clue what happened or where to start...

Paul Moir

Admiral

Ah, don't you love it. I guess bad stuff comes in threes though. :) <br /><br />The dead cylinder - check out the spark. If you didn't get the wiring tucked in real neatly, often the flywheel will rub through and kill spark. At least pulling the flywheel will be easier this time...<br /><br />Check out the shear pin on the prop. You can get similair symptoms with that (especially it suddenly kicking back in). It's not likely a mechanical fault in the outboard.<br /><br />The reason I asked about the coil is that if the ignition key is miswired, it can burn out coils. Death from age is natural though. :) <br /><br />Good luck, and to a better tomorrow!

rennen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Paul,<br /><br />The coil was obviously cracked from age. I will pull the flywheel again tomorrow, and check the wires. Ignition is right on if I am not mistaken. I spent a lot of time rewiring the whole harness so I am pretty sure that the MAG wires you are thinking about are wired correctly. (Will check though just in case). thanks <br />Shear pin was good...<br /><br />Good to hear that you think that the kick back is not mechanical. I will check the fluid levels just to make sure tomorrow. I noticed that the high tension wires, were not aligined like they previously were.. If the new (bottom coil wire was not properly inserted into the coil) do you think that this might be the problem? I pushed it in pretty well but it didnt look like it went in all the way? Maybe time for different wires?<br /><br />I'll figure some stuff out tomorrow and let you all know.<br /><br />I appreciate your help,<br />Sal

Paul Moir

Admiral

A lot of the newer coils have a threaded post rather than a pin to contact the wire in the ignition coil. They're a lot thicker than the pin and work really well. But you have to "thread" the spark plug wire on to them. I lubricate the plug wire with dialectric grease which makes it a lot easier.<br />As for the cracked coil, I'm certain you're right. I was just explaining my question. ;) <br /><br />Is your outboard electric shift rennen? If it's mechanical, there's really nothing to slip without awful mechanical noises. Prop may be spun.

rennen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yeah it is electric shift. I think I am putting all of this off until the weekend. Thanks for your help Paul, I will update this weekend.

Paul Moir

Admiral

Oh no. Sorry to tell you the bad news, but it's certainly possible for Selectric shift outboards to slip in gear. Double-check the wiring for the shift coils to make sure they're getting the full 12v. Check a few drops of lower unit fluid too. You have the correct fluid in the gearcase right (OMC/BRP "Premium Blend")?<br />Do you know how to test for a spun prop?

rennen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I will check the wiring, although I am sure that the wiring is good. Full voltage may have been comprimised somewhere since I wired the boat. <br /><br />I have the OMC premium blend in right now. When I changed it about three weeks ago, the fluid that came out was like fudge. No water, but really thick. I flushed with solvent and refilled with premium blend. <br /><br />I do NOT know how to check for a spun prop. :) but I bet you might be able to tell me.

Paul Moir

Admiral

I think the most likely places for the wiring to go bad are inside the exhaust housing itself. I've seen a few posts relating to troubles there lately.<br /><br />Checking a spun prop is pretty easy. Take off the "cone" at the end of the prop and mark the outside part of the prop (the part with the blades) against the inside part (the part that the drive pin goes through) with a marker. It may not seem obvious, but those two pieces are connected by a rubber hub inside the prop. Take the motor out for a spin and see if the marks still line up.<br /><br />If the prop is spun very badly, you can jam the flywheel, put the engine in gear, and still turn the prop by hand.

rennen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok thanks Paul,<br /><br />I have a lot of things to do this weekend on this motor. Hope I can get everything sorted. Anyone know of a good place to get parts in Seattle?? I will be up there for a week on vacation?<br /><br />Sal