'63 Merc 1000 - Where to start?

DallasJeff

Seaman
Friend of mine got a free '63 Merc 1000 that supposedly ran when it was parked 5 years ago. But the boat/motor has changed hands twice from the original owner so true condition is unknown.

We built a motor stand and will start working on it next week. Here's kinda what I think:
1. Remove the plugs and see if we can turn the flywheel
2. Test compression on each cylinder (inline-6). what pressure is expected?
3. Test for spark on each plug

Assuming these tests all go well

4. Clean carb and put in a carb kit
5. Replace water impeller

Then try to start it up.

Sound like a good procedure? I'm a novice Johnson/Rude repairman ('54 10HP, '67 33HP), never worked on a Mercury or any motor this size.

Mi duckdown

Commander
Re: '63 Merc 1000 - Where to start?

Good plan. More people should have that plan.
not sure of the compression( manual at cottage).
An OEM MERC MANUAL won't hurt either
Good luck. I'm sure your compression numbers will be comming soon from someone.
Serial number is a must, when working on Mercs

DallasJeff

Seaman

Thank you duckdown, we have serial number and traced it to a '63 Merc 1000 despite the cowling that says 70HP. I found a manual for 6-cylinder models starting with '65. We'll use that as a guide unless I find something better and free.

This will be my official '63 Merc 1000 repair thread. Will post pictures, info and updates starting with compression.

We're novice boat motor repairmen so any comments, questions or advice is very welcome. Maybe this thread will help someone else with a similar motor.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

Check EBayMotors to see if you can come up with a repair manual on your motor. I assume this is one of the old white motors--probably the largest outboard they made for the time. (We still see the white Mercs on our lake from time to time.) Last one I rode in was a fresh 85 hp rebuild on a 13' Allison in 1970. The engine was very torquey and a little louder than the next generation "black" cowling Mercs.

I would suggest going in this order:

1. Clean/flush out the gas tank. Remix new gasoline/oil (using more modern oil) to the recommended ratio.
2. Check the fuel line and gas filter to make sure there are no obstructions. (If fuel line is cracked/rotted--WalMart sells universal fuel lines.)
3. Remove the spark plugs. Squirt a little Marvel Mystery Oil into each cylinder.
4. Attempt to turnover the engine with the starter.
5. Replace with new spark plugs.
6. Put a water jacket on the lower unit and turn on the water--not too much pressure.
6. Attach the fuel line, squeeze the primer bulb until firm and attempt to start the engine.
7. If it won't start, try starter fluid.
8. Stand back and be amazed at the noise a stack 6 cylinder makes.
9. Warm up the engine. Then stop the engine--and look down the carb throats to see if there's any drip, drip, drip (sticky needle valves.) If there's any bearing noise in the lower unit, stop the engine and change the lower gear oil.

There's no reason to test the compression or spark on each plug, at first. It'll either start or it won't start. I wouldn't worry about cleaning the 3 carbs until a little later. If the engine won't run, then test the compression and ignition.

It's a fair assumption you'll need to clean the carbs. Be careful when you disassembe the carbs, and a carb kit might not be required. Also note how many turns the carb adjustment screws take to screw them down--and reset them to the same level when reassembled.

If you get it running smoothly, then replace water impeller and lower unit gear oil.

Mi duckdown

Commander

Bamaman1 sparked something in my mind.
I would lay the motor on the clamps, spark plugs UP. get horizontal. Remove plugs and squirt marvel mystery oil in. (Best oil I have every used) let it sit for a day or two. Then try turning the flywheel by hand. Then proceed with Compression .02
If you have bad compression than everthing else really doesn't matter. 02
I have a 2 manuals for that motor I think?
Still NEED serial number...? Manuals changed that year/years.
7. NO STARTER FLUID FOR GOD SAKE.

DallasJeff

Seaman

Will post the serial number on Monday, have it written down somewhere at work. No gas tank came with the motor but we have one from my '67 Evinrude - mixed around 40:1 and the tank/lines are known good.

The motor has an electric starter with ?random/?unknown? wires hanging from the motor. We'll probably ground it and jump the starter motor lead straight off my Jeep battery when the time comes.

Marvel Mystery oil... we have some WD-40 and PB Blaster penetrating oil...

Mi duckdown

Commander

Just saw a OEM Merc manual On ebay C-90-25500 1965 and older
1940 - 1965 Mercury Outboards Service Manual OEM

DallasJeff

Seaman

OK, got the motor on the stand. It had a silver 70HP cowling but its an inline 6 with serial number 1505513, meaning a 1963 Merc 1000.

merc1000_1.jpg

DallasJeff

Seaman

Pulled all six spark plugs and tried to turn the flywheel with an 18" cheat bar. Wouldn't turn. Its been sitting for several years but I thought we'd be able to turn the flywheel. Think that means its seized up? Or just needs some penetrating oil to soak in? I sprayed a small amount of WD-40 in each cylinder to soak over night. We're going to jump the electric starter off a battery tomorrow and see what happens.

merc1000_2.jpg

bktheking

Vice Admiral

If you want to destroy things try running it with the starter. It`s seized, tip it on it`s size cylinders up and poor a half atf half kerosone mixture into the cylinder and let it sit for a week in a dry location. Then try using your bar, the key is penetration and time.

Mi duckdown

Commander

+ 1. Wd 40 is useless
I would lay the motor on the clamps, spark plugs UP. get horizontal. Remove plugs and squirt marvel mystery oil in. (Best oil I have every used) let it sit for a day or two. Then try turning the flywheel by hand. Then proceed with Compression .02
If you have bad compression than everthing else really doesn't matter. 02

GOT IT DALLAS
it may take weeks to moves the the flywheel by hand.

DallasJeff

Seaman

Thanks for the advice. We held off the electric starter idea. Laid the motor down with plugs up, poured a couple ounces of 32:1 gas:eek:il mixture into each cylinder. Then put the plugs back in loosely. Will let it sit over the holiday weekend then try to turn the flywheel on Tuesday. I recommended Marvel Mystery oil to the owner (my buddy at work) but he didn't provide it so I used what was available.

BTW, the old plugs are J6C.

RandomNoise

Cadet

How are you coming with this?

I'm watching with interest. I've got a '68 1000 that had sat for a few years. I'm blessed that it starts and runs like a dream. Unfortunately my dream is a nightmare because the lower unit is rusted and seized.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looking at the picture, that engine does not look like any 100 HP engine I have ever seen. If that was a 100 HP, the 70 cowl would not fit on it, and in the picture it does not have a 100 HP lower cowling on it. I would question the S/N plate, it may not be original to that engine. Look at the intake side of the block, if it says Super Marthon it is a 70, if it says Tiger it is a 85 or 100 HP. The block looks, to me, like it is a 70 hp engine. The 100 hp also used a different flywheel, it was bigger in Dia.

IA.62merc1000

Recruit

This link is just what I needed. Just started planning to get a 62 Merc1000 stored since 1983 up and running. Starting in '62 Merc1000 were phantom black. My serial # is 1467484. I found a 1965 and Prior Repair manual (90-25500) for $40 on Craigslist. It was printed after 1980 (that is the new newest 'update' in the book). Lots and lots of good info. You can also buy a Pre-'65 manual off of Mercury's web site. What is the update on this engine??