63 MERC.1000 REBUILD?

mudrow

Seaman Apprentice
I have a merc. 1000 100hp inline 6. Wanted to know if it is rebuildable. Have checked comp. Top two cyclinders are way below the others. 60&70 on top two, 120 on others. Looks like someone has messed with the gasket on the head, may be leaking there. If other problems like scored cyclinders can I bore it out(oversize) and get pistons. Checked parts on Bam Marine but only standard size pistons. They have most other parts as well. $128 for one pistons there. I can do most work myself but dont have mic guages. Any help or advice. New manual on the way.

Laddies

Banned
Re: 63 MERC.1000 REBUILD?

mudrow, it depends how bad the engine is inside take the port covers off and look at it. Its a old engine but that makes it very forgiving as far as cyl. taper and out of round. You may be able to find a parts engine at a marine shop in your area for less than the cost of a pistion. If the cyls. aren't scored you can ck them with a piston and feeler gauge, not the most accurate but it will tell you what you need to know. Take a look before disassembly that will tell alot---Bob