'63 lark 40 HP many problems

katfish2123

Cadet
First I want to thank you for all of the knowledge that I have taken from you guys on here already.

I got my motor running with the help of a guy I met on the lake who had a late 50's model lark. It runs on automatic choke, but when I take off the choke it dies.

Also, do I need a battery hooked up to get the electric shift to work because I don't have one hooked up now and it doesn't shift.

And the two mounting tabs on the motor block for mounting the starter broke off. Does anyone know if this metal is weldable or have any ideas for getting the starter hooked back up as now I'm having to take the cover off and wrap a rope around the flywheel to start it.
I don't have to have the starter if someone has an idea of getting a different style spring loaded/ recoiling pull cord on there since there is no mount on the starter side causing the manufacturer installed unit to bind. Maybe weld one on top of the flywheel?

This is a family owned boat and motor since the 60's and I really would like to get it going as it is the boat I learned to ski on. It's on a 1950's 14' alumacraft.

Model#40372D

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

mstahl1171

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: '64 lark 35 HP many problems

Sounds like you need to rebuild the carb. Easy job to do and carb kits are still available here @ iboats or your local omc dealer. Yes...you need the battery to work the electric shift. Make sure you drain the old lower unit oil and replace with Type "C" Oil. I assume you have replaced the water pump impeller? Check Lower Unit seals?? Check out the the sticky threads in this forum for great tips on getting your old "RUDE" in tip top shape. As far as the starter is concerned...you could have it welded by a shop. Post a pic so we can see how bad the bracket is

Also get yourself a shop manual..plenty available on ebay.

Great motor...I have a 62 Lark Electric Shift

Last edited:

katfish2123

Cadet

stahl, do you have any pictures of your lark? Also, I just looked at my service manual and changed the name of the post, it is a 40 HP.

mstahl1171

Petty Officer 1st Class

sure do...send me a pm with your email and I'll send you pics

katfish2123

Cadet

Also, can you take a picture of the wiring box/ fuse box?

mstahl1171

Petty Officer 1st Class

sure can do..I will take some tomorrow....too dark now. I can give you wiring diagrams also if needed. manuals are available on ebay and kencook.com

mstahl1171

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sure thing....will post tomorrow. Too dark now. I can also send you wiring diagrams if you need. You can get manuals from ebay and kencook.com

katfish2123

Cadet

I can't figure out how to put them on here. I can email them to whoever wants to see them.

katfish2123

Cadet

you can see in the pictures where one of the tabs broke off and was arcing from being grounded to the mounting bracket. the other is under the big ground wire and looks very similar.