'63 johnson 40hp sea horse electromatic shift runs great but...

surf&fish

Recruit
I just perches a 1963 johnson sea horse 40hp. The eng. is in great shape and runs great, w.o.t. has no problems and it starts right up hot or cold. It runs very strong!!! seems to have no problems...

This motor was last ran 18 years ago :eek: and my question is that if this motor runs perfect do I still need to rebuild the carb and water pump? Is there a way to inspect the water pump with out pulling the lower end off?

Thanks for your time
Paul

fire831

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: '63 johnson 40hp sea horse electromatic shift runs great but...

If it was last ran 18 years ago, then a water pump would be a must. As far as the carbs,if it runs good, I would not mess with it.

CATransplant

Admiral

If it runs fine, you don't need to mess with the carb. However, after 18 years, you definitely need to replace the water pump impeller. They harden up and don't pump properly after all that time in a fixed position.

If you don't, you're running a heavy risk of the impeller failing, causing an overheating. Worse, chunks of the impeller can be moved up into the cooling lines or engine block. Very difficult to remove.

Keep that fine old engine running by performing that simple but essential piece of maintenance.

surf&fish

Recruit

Thanks a bunch for the info!