63 Evinrude 75hp - will it idle?

mellocj

Seaman
I got my '63 75 HP Evinrude running tonight in a big tub of water. It ran well for about 15 minutes total, but it couldn't idle. It would want to sputter and die out when I slowly decreased the throttle toward idle.<br /><br />Its also loud as #### and smokes alot! I wanted to test it out on a lake tomorrow to see if the lower unit works. I changed out the impeller and lower unit gear fluid.<br /><br />I guess I need to work on the carb? I haven't worked on one before. Do I just take the carbs off and soak in carb cleaner?<br /><br />Any help is appreciated -<br /><br />Mark

thosch

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 63 Evinrude 75hp - will it idle?

Carb rebuild would be reasonable. It is not hard if you have a manual and a clean place to work. Disassemble the carbs one at a time and spray out all the passages. Reassemble using new parts from the carb kits you'll buy. Remember to make note of the # of turns on the needles to get them back where they were. Remember...must have a manual and clean area.<br /><br />Let us know how it turns out.

mellocj

Seaman

th, thanks for the reply. I ended up taking the boat out on the lake Wednesday and found that it did surprisingly well. I couldn't idle in neutral, but once I was in forward gear I was able to slow it down enough to make almost no wake. I took it out again Thursday. <br /><br />I could definately tell the carb was running rich, acceleration was slow, lots and lots of smoke coming out the exhaust, and there was a gas smell. <br /><br />I will try to locate a carb rebuild kit and do that on the kitchen table :D or maybe I can even find a carb cheap enough to not worry about rebuilding.<br /><br />My old points ignition on the 'rude seems to be doing OK with its 'high-performance' automotive coil I put on :cool: <br /><br />Mark

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Hello.<br />Before you pull that carb,you may want to dump a can or two of carburator cleaner in your fuel and take it for a ride on the lake.<br />As for automotive coils;there is a very good reason for marine coils.They are very well insulated from water and do not usually cause a fire ......