63 Evinrude 40 hp, Problem.. Help

rennen

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey there everyone. Haven't spoke with you all since last season, but here it starts. <br /><br />Working on a 63 Evinrude Lark 40 hp Selectricshift.<br /><br />This winter I replaced both coils, points, condensers, new plug wires (which might be the problem), and an impeller (which was easy due to Paul and ct's sticky, thanks)<br /><br />My first run this season went really smoothly. I broke the motor in slowly and tried not to idle much. After about two hours out on the water, anchored and running, the motor started running on one cylinder again. The weird thing was that you could feel the other cylinder trying to fire, sometimes. Just for short bursts of 1-2 seconds.<br /><br />EXACT SEQUENCE OF EVENTS.<br />1) Underway close to WOT<br />2) Slow down for some traffic and decide to switch drivers.<br />3) Shut the motor off, switch drivers.<br />4) Start it up and take off (but only on one cylinder)<br />5) The whole 1/2 mile back to the dock you could feel intermittent bursts off the second cylinder. <br /><br />What the heck should I start with??<br /><br />Thanks Guys,<br />-Sal

rennen

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 63 Evinrude 40 hp, Problem.. Help

I thought of something else. I know, I know.. I let the fuel sit in the carb last winter. Could it have gotten gummed up, and run well for an hour before showing symptoms??

Xcusme

Commander

Just for grins, I'd pull flywheel and check point gaps,coils on index bosses and plug wire connections at coils. Check coil grounds and condenser wire connections. Check that plug wire ends are fully seated in coils and plug contact spring contacts are terminated properly. You did use stranded solid core wire right?? Post back with your findings.

rennen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I will check it all out today and post back, thanks for the lead. The wire was indeed Solid core stranded.

perkdp

Petty Officer 1st Class

Did you replace the plugs too ? <br />I ran into a similar situation recently and it was a DOA (dead on arrival) plug. It would fire <br />some as long I held the wire/cap back a bit causing the fire to jump.

perkdp

Petty Officer 1st Class

Did you replace the plugs too ? <br />I ran into a similar situation recently and it was a DOA (dead on arrival) plug. It would fire <br />some as long I held the wire/cap back a bit causing the fire to jump.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

If you didn't grease or oil the point cam it's possible that the cam rider wore down and closed the gap. The wick oiler that came with the new points should have several drops of light oil on it...<br />- Scott

Xcusme

Commander

Scott, that's exactly where I was headed.... ;)

rennen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well Thanks guys... I Didnt get a chance today to get under the flywheel and look, but I did change the wick (oile side in) and did not change the plugs. I plan to change the plugs, and take it out again, maybe save myself that hectic pull without a puller. <br /><br />If need be later on, I will pull it and reset everything once again (seems like I set these damn points once a week)<br /><br />Thanks Everyone, I will post progress

rennen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Guess what happens when you forget to tighten a spark plug and it decides to wiggle itself out of the cylinder at the end of the day?<br /><br />Woops, I am surprised it ran so well with that compromised compression.<br /><br />Thanks for all of your help. Today it will be 90 degrees in Portland, and I plan to take advantage of it.<br /><br />Sal

Xcusme

Commander

Ha! yup,it sure helps to have the plugs in. Small wonder why one hole went dead. Thanks for reporting back.

perkdp

Petty Officer 1st Class

that's a good one.... <br /> you're lucky it didn't ruin the threads .

byacey

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by rennen:<br /> Well Thanks guys... I Didnt get a chance today to get under the flywheel and look, but I did change the wick (oile side in) and did not change the plugs. I plan to change the plugs, and take it out again, maybe save myself that hectic pull without a puller. <br /><br />If need be later on, I will pull it and reset everything once again (seems like I set these damn points once a week)<br /><br />Thanks Everyone, I will post progress
Use a little bit of removable strength loctite on the points machine screws, it'll keep the from loosening up. Does your armature plate have some wobble / play to it? If so,this will make setting the points to any degree of accuracy impossible.<br />There are some previous posts outlining how to cure this common problem on these Big Twins.

68whaler

Seaman

I am in the process of refurbing my "67 40. Loose plug took out the threads and eventually helicoils failed as well. Found a surplus head on Ebay for 35.