63' 5hp Sea King help

joeymagnus1

Cadet
I just bought a 5 hp SK and I'm having a few problems with it.

1- Does it matter if I use a higher grade fuel? I had some higher grade fuel in my gas can that I had gotten for a scooter.

2- When I first start it, it runs pretty good for a minute , then it starts to stall out. And it kinda revs up and down by itself. Could that be a carb problem?

3- When I run it, I have it sticking in a 5 gallon bucket of water. And after messing with it (trying to keep it running) a few minutes, the water has oil in it. And smoke is coming out of the hole about half way up the shaft. And hot water trickles out of it. But I haven't seen water shoot out of it.

4- The guy I bought it from said it was a 50:1 ratio, but I saw elsewhere in this forum that it's 24:1 ratio for this engine. Which is right? And does it take oil like a car motor does? I don't see any place to check or add oil.

The model # is GG18801A and serial is 36X867736

Thanks

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 63' 5hp Sea King help

#1 Use regular unleaded. You can use higher grade, but it is just a waste of money.

#2 Could be a lot of things, including breathing its own smoke. Or ignition problems (cutting out on one cylinder). Or, yes carburetor. Best don't "fix" anything till you diagnose the problem.

#3 It was designed to run on a boat in the lake, not a 5 gallon bucket. If nothing else, get a larger container. How about a garbage can? It has to be in the water deep enough in order for the water pump to work. It WILL get oil in the water. It will seem much worse when running it in a container. It also will be worse if it isn't running right. And it WILL smoke. Again, worse in a container, etc.

#4 It takes 24:1 mix. That is one pint of oil to 3 gallons of gas. That is all the lubrication it gets because it is a 2-stroke engine. It does not have a crankcase in the sense that a car does. But it Does take oil in the lower unit. 80-90 weight gear oil.

Try it on a boat before you decide it needs fixing. It probably could use some maintenance items like a tune-up and water pump, but it doesn't sound like you are ready for that.

joeymagnus1

Cadet
Re: 63' 5hp Sea King help

Thank you for those answers. I went on vacation, so I wasn't able to read this or reply right away. But thank you. I tried the 24:1 ratio and that seems to have made a difference. I also sprayed a bit of carb cleaner in the carb. It still seems to sputter a bit, but at least I can get it to stay running. It has two speed adjustment knobs, one for low speed and the other for high speed. But the low speed knob is missing a part of the linkage. All I can do is adjust it all the way in and turn it out a little at a time. Any ideas where I can get the piece I need? It's the plastic piece that goes on the shaft part that comes out of the carb that the linkage attaches to.