63 3 hp evinrude back to life but maybe problem

mettyfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I put a new ignition kit and carb kit in this motor. Got it fired up but right on the head it measures 210 degrees. Right behind the head about 160. And on exhaust plate about 160ish. Is my head getting to hot. I did not replace impeller but it pumps strong out of the holes and out of the flush port. It runs decent but once and a while it acts like it wants to quit. I just have to pull the choke out and right back in and it speeds back up. Any ideas? Thanks, Mettyfish

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 63 3 hp evinrude back to life but maybe problem

Adjust the carburetor for the choke problem. As for the temperature, the head is only water cooled around the edges. The center around the spark plugs gets very hot because there is fire on the inside of that area. The same thing goes for the exhaust cover plate, even more so. Brand new motors burned the paint off that area in the first five minutes of running.

However, do not trust old impellers. They are subject to sudden failure.

mettyfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks F-R Actually its out on the side edges that it seems that hot but in towards spark plugs seems tons cooler. How many turns from all the way in should I adj. screw on carb. . This motor does not have a bottom screw. True on impeller I will pull it next and replace. Good to hear from you. It's been a while. Mettyfish

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Thanks F-R Actually its out on the side edges that it seems that hot but in towards spark plugs seems tons cooler. How many turns from all the way in should I adj. screw on carb. . This motor does not have a bottom screw. True on impeller I will pull it next and replace. Good to hear from you. It's been a while. Mettyfish

Oh yeah, I wasn't thinking too well on that one. Forgot about the fixed jet. As for the slow speed needle, if it will come down to idle at all it is close, so don't worry about how many turns. Just dial it in for best slow idle. Are you sure the fixed jet is clean? It has to be absoletely, positively, squeaky CLEAN or it will run lean.

A clogged fuel filter will make it run out of gas, but since yours recovers with a quick choke, I don't think that is the problem here.

Yeah, I was gone for awhile. 12,305 mile trip to Alaska, in fact.

mettyfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Now I put a new impeller in and new head gasket. I didn't notice any blockages with the head off. And the water is pumiping strong out of the holes. When I took the head off water poured out of it. So I believe water is getting up there. But the head is getting to 210 degrees. What else can I check? This is starting to get to my mojo. HEHE Thanks, Mettyfish

mettyfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just pulled powerhead and I don't see any obstructions. Don't know where else to go with this problem. When I took the head off water should not have poured out should it? I would have thought it would have drained after sitting. Thanks for any help. Mettyfish

F_R

Supreme Mariner

So, you are telling us that the rest of the motor stays cool, only the cylinder head gets hot? Truthfully, I've never measured the head temperature on one of those, but I still wonder if you actually have a problem. On the other hand, I wonder about the "water pouring out" (????) Out of where? I'm confused.

But I can tell you this: As I said before, the head is not cooled that well. Only around the outer edge and not a positive circulation there either. It depends on water that just happens to get through the holes in the gasket. The water is not forced in one end and out the other, for example.

One thing that will fool you on that motor is they have a nasty habit of wearing a hole through the side of the water tube from rubbing on the spinning drive shaft (bent water tube). When that happens, it appears to be pumping just fine, but the water is spilling out through the side of the tube instead of going on up through the powerhead.

cajuncook1

Chief Petty Officer

Mettyfish, here are a couple of diagrams to help you understand what F_R is trying to explain to you. The temps over the cylinder head and the side of the motor that has the exhaust plate is going to be hot as hell, because there is little or no water circulating in the those areas!!! Water is circulating around all area of the the cylinders, but your access to that side of the cylinder is block by the exhaust plate and it is shuttling hot exhaust gases, so yes it is going to be very hot. There is very little water circulating near the cylinder head and combustion is taking place behind there it is very hot.

So the best place to check temps on this motor is on the other side near the motor id plug and cylinder areas on that side of the motor....period!

If those area are hot >160F, then as F_R has suggested, you may have to look at the condition of the water tube. You will have to remove the lower unit and remove the powerhead (if you do please change the gasket at the base) to get a good look at the water tube and its position and to see it has been damage.

JWlowerunitdriveshaftandwatertubeposition.jpg

JW3hppowerheadcoolingdiagram.jpg

JW3hppowerheadtempcheckarea.jpg

Good luck, I hope this helps you out!!

mettyfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks, Gents I may have been focusing to much on the head temp and not the temp on places where you have told me to check. I will check it in those areas. I think I did and it was 160ish. Then I went to the head area with my heat gun. The water poured out of the head and gasket area when I pryed the head off. A decent amount of water. Shouldn't it drain when not running? Thanks Mettyfish