62 Steury wanting new Motor

Got a Steury

Recruit
I've got a 1962, 14 foot Steury and I'd like to put a new Evinrude V-Tec motor on it. Last summer, I bought a 60 hp V-Tec for it and it was way too heavy and too powerful, it actually made the bow of the boat stick up out of the water - it totally unbalanced the boat. That motor weighs about 240 lbs. I took it off and put it on my pontoon.

I am looking inot putting on a 30 hp V-Tec, which weighs about 177 lbs, but I don't know how to balance a boat with a motor. I bought this boat with a 1964 55 hp Chrysler motor that runs great, but needs lead additive to the fuel, which turns the back of the boat black from the oil mixture. I just don't like the pollution value, plus it's really loud.

Questions:

1) Can anyone tell me how much a '62, 14 foot Steury weighs?
2) Can anyone tell me how to judge the size (weight) motor I should use for this boat?
3) Any idea how much that 55 hp Chrysler might weigh?

Thanks, Kevin

Jay Curtis

Seaman Apprentice
why do you need lead additive , that was for keeping the valve on a 4 cycle lubed never heard of a 2 stroke needing it

Got a Steury

Recruit
Hello Jay Curtis, thank you for writing. It is a 1964 Chrysler motor. They didn't have unleaded gas back than, without it the valves get a tapping. The Chrysler runs great, just too much to bother with. The new motors run so much quieter and smoother. Do you know, or know where, I could get my question answered?

Much to my surprise, the Evinrude people wouldn't help with figuring out their motor to my boat. I bought the boat off the side of the road to look at a lake property in the Northwoods of Wisconsin. Before I knew it, I fell in love with the little thing. It is my personnel run about and would love to keep it. Right now it is in the garage waiting.

Thank you,
Kevin