60Hp Johnson Battery Charging

Wessel

Seaman Apprentice
First let me say that this is an awsome forum site and its great to see so many people willing to help others. I have just purchased 2 Johnson 60hp seahorse motors, 1981 models, belgium serial plates. these are electric start motors and what i'd like to know is if they have a battery charge function. (you dont want to get caught of the cape of good hope with a flat battery believe me.)

Goodoleboy

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 60Hp Johnson Battery Charging

Welcome to the forum!<br /><br />Yes they are equiped to charge the battery. Dosent mean they are going to however.<br /><br />you can tell if they are charging with a volt meter. It should measure about 14 volts across the battery post above 3000 RPMS.<br /><br />I would strongly recomend an OEM service manual. Best money you will ever spend on your motors.<br /><br />Would also recomend that you change the water pump empeller,s, If you dont know the maintanance history on these motors.<br /><br />And last but not least, Idd run a compression test on the engines just so you know their general health. And for future refrence, when and if things go wrong.<br /><br />Good luck!

Wessel

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 60Hp Johnson Battery Charging

Thank you for the info. I'm being a bit of a dumbass, the motors came with a service and maintenance manual, i just didn't think to look.<br />The motors have stood for a long time +- 2years, i took out the plugs, sprayed some two stroke oil into the cylinders, turned by hand and let it stand for a while. i connected everything up and primed the fuel system. the motor fired up and ran in a split second (the starter motor must have turned 1 revolution). the water pressure indicator is spraying very strong but i'll take your advice and replace the impeller and the LU lube.<br />Wessel