60 runs, not good

Jerry Beebe

Cadet
Well the 60 runs but not good. It won't idle without dying, and it starts hard (choke full out). My brother in law thinks it is not firing on #2. It seem to be firing on all when excelerating and runs good at high rpm. The water is pouring out the exit tube. With the plugs out and grounded they all fire brightly. We brutalized the starter drive and will have to order another. I am about ready to take it to a shop to have it tuned by someone smarter than me. I have it set up on a stand with battery, push buton start and stop and muffs for water. If you can think of anything helpful I would appreciate it. I thank liutenant Junior Grade for his help getting us this far.....................Jerry

Tuck_72

Cadet
Re: 60 runs, not good

Year and serial # needed for more detailed info....

Sounds like it's something on the low speed fire from your stator....That's why serial and year are needed....

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

compression, dirty low speed jets, linc N sinc, on muffs don't run over 1500 rpms. running at high rpms without a load, can do a lot of damage, and cause a runaway engine that you can't stop other than disconnecting fuel line.

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander

It is a lot easier to get accurate help, if you reply to your original post with any new questions. The information tasha is seeking was previously posted.

You might want to check your reed valves...does it spit gas out the carbs when idling?

Confident you have the timing/sync set ok ?

Jerry Beebe

Cadet

The sn. is ob343140 . It seems to have plenty of compression as it kicks back against the starter hard. We set the #1 cyl at tdc and the flywheel on around the 0 +3 maybe. Just to get it started but don't know how to adjust the timing after that. We put a timing light on it and the mark was very near where the pointer was. All 3 plugs sparked when grounded. Could it be the carbs are just dirty? This engine had set for five years since he even tried to start it and it wouldn't run then. Had cooked no1 piston and no rings on it. We put all new pistons and rings, fuel pump kit, water impeller and starter selinoid. It has to be full choked for a few spins of the starter and then it kicks back and if you keep spinning it it will take off and then you push the choke in and it will run as long as you don't idle it clear down, but it runs rough at low speeds. When excellerating it feels smooth like it is hitting on all 3....................Jerry

Jerry Beebe

Cadet

Jerry said:
The sn. is ob343140 . It seems to have plenty of compression as it kicks back against the starter hard. We set the #1 cyl at tdc and the flywheel on around the 0 +3 maybe. Just to get it started but don't know how to adjust the timing after that. We put a timing light on it and the mark was very near where the pointer was. All 3 plugs sparked when grounded. Could it be the carbs are just dirty? This engine had set for five years since he even tried to start it and it wouldn't run then. Had cooked no1 piston and no rings on it. We put all new pistons and rings, fuel pump kit, water impeller and starter selinoid. It has to be full choked for a few spins of the starter and then it kicks back and if you keep spinning it it will take off and then you push the choke in and it will run as long as you don't idle it clear down, but it runs rough at low speeds. When excellerating it feels smooth like it is hitting on all 3....................Jerry
sorry, no it doesn't spit gas. The motor hadn't been run for sometime before he tried to start it five years ago, so who knows...............

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander

Sounds like this motor has just been re-assembled following a piston replacement. I would definitely clean the carbs. Even with fuel stabilizer, after 5 years the fuel would have evaporated leaving behind some resins. The needle also has an elastomeric tip which degrades over time.

A compression check with #'s would be wise, just to make certain all three are providing equal pressure. Having one low, will result in a rough idle.

Since the motor has been apart, it is important to do a lync & sync to get the timing and carb syncronization just right. Grab a service manual for specifics.

Did you isolate and remedy the source of the original #1 meltdown?

If new rings were installed, you need to break them in by running heavy on the oil (25:1) for a while, and avoiding running wide open until they have had a chance to seat.

I'm not a mechanic... just providing suggestions.

joblo33

Chief Petty Officer

Also check if its firing on all 3 by doing a drop test: While you've got it idling the best it will do right now, pull the spark plug lead off of #1 plug and see if there's an immediate difference (in your case it'll probably die). Repeat for each plug. If pulling one of the leads doesn't make any difference that cylinder is either not getting spark or fuel.
This is assuming it'll at least idle for a couple seconds in its current state.
Eric

Jerry Beebe

Cadet

I have the carbs off now and waiting for parts. The coupling assy was broke on one side letting one carb open just slightly ahead of the other one. And I ordered a starter drive gear. So will soak the carbs and reassemble and try again. I have checked the timing set up and find it good. I did the .464 measurement and the pointer is right on. will have to get it going again before I can use the timing light..........Jerry

Jerry Beebe

Cadet

when I soak the carbs, should I take the bowls off or just remove the drain plug? I have never messed with carbs before....................Jerry

Jerry Beebe

Cadet

Jerry said:
when I soak the carbs, should I take the bowls off or just remove the drain plug? I have never messed with carbs before....................Jerry

Well I took them down floats, jets, and the works. Took the venturis out and the gas screen and anything plastic. It wasn't that tough and shouldn't be that hard to put back together. I found a parts breakdown on the net with part nos. and discription. They are soaking and I'll rinse and blow them dry in the morning.........Jerry