60 hp merc question

Jerry Beebe

Cadet
I have a merc 60 that I recently overhauled and is sitting on a stand with battery, temp fuel tank, and water muffs ready to kick the tires and light the fires. My question is, will it start when I crank it or does it require a run wire somewhere? I guess I thought it was a "ground Kill" and when you turned the switch on it broke the ground. What's the real story and if it needs a run wire, where do I need to put it ? Thanks...............Jerry

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 60 hp merc question

What year is that motor? You'll likely find the kill circuit needs to be disengaged to run it without the controls. Keep in mind you'll have to manually stop it as well.

Jerry Beebe

Cadet

AMD said:
What year is that motor? You'll likely find the kill circuit needs to be disengaged to run it without the controls. Keep in mind you'll have to manually stop it as well.

I guess I didn't say the wire harness is disconected so there shouldn't be any kill switch issues right?

Jerry Beebe

Cadet

Jerry said:
AMD said:

I guess I didn't say the wire harness is disconected so there shouldn't be any kill switch issues right?
sorry, the motor is a 1988 ob343140

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

should start up if you hand start it. Stopping it will be another matter unless you attach a wire to the mercury tilt switch that you can ground to stop it.

You're right about it being a ground kill.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Or you can just disconnect the fuel line to kill it (in time). d:)

Mark

Jerry Beebe

Cadet

I found the mercury switch (didn't know that was what that was and didn't know why it was mounted at an angle) It all makes sense now. That should kill the engine after it is started. I also found the start seloniod was shot, got that replaced. should be good to go. thanks....................Jerry