6 HP Merc/Tohatsu floods

GWUISTER

Cadet
My friend has the above engine in 4 stroke that continues to flood out and stall every time he uses it. It only has about 6 hours on it. He took it to the dealer and they replaced the float needle but it continues to pour fuel out the carb. I figure it must be a problem with the needle seat. I told him I will pull the carb and check for flaws in the seat or float level. <br />Elvin, can I purchase a new seat and needle?

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: 6 HP Merc/Tohatsu floods

Yes, you can, but I doubt that it is bad. Either the float level is way, way off or there is an obstruction in a passage that you can't see. The Merc has a three year warranty like the Tohatsu so I would dump it back on them.(If its trash they will charge him to clean it). If its out of warranty, pull the carb and clean/soak it for awhile. Use high pressure air to blow through the passages when your done and see if it still floods. If you need carb parts you can get them through any Nissan-Tohatsu-Mercury dealer. If no one wants your business contact me through our website and I will get them out to you.