6 hp evinrude

Cadet
I recently was given a mid 70's 6hp evinrude that has been in storage for the last 12 years or so. I think that the carb was rebuilt right before it was stored. I ran the engine a few weeks ago and it seemed to run great, but i was wondering if i should do anything to the motor to make it ready to run this summer. I was thinking the lower unit fluid and the water pump but is there anything else?<br />thanks

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: 6 hp evinrude

Welcome aboard ratherbfishin....<br /><br />Take a compresson test before anything. Make sure the cylinders are still good first.<br /><br />Check the ignition system and for spark. You should have a hot spark on each cylinder.<br /><br />Yer on the right track. Replacing the water pump impeller should be a must do item on the list along with gearlube.<br /><br />You should also consider rebuilding he carb with a new carb kit. Setting so long probably hasn't done it any good and you could even have rust in the bowl. The new kit will give ya' a new float and needle and all ya' need. Don't forget new spark plugs.<br /><br />Get a manual if your serious about gettin the engine to run right. A generic should do ya' and they can be gotten from right here on iboats. See the bottom of the page.<br /><br />Keep us posted if you need further info or help. Thanks.