6 HP Evinrude mfg in Belgium - Fuel/Oil Mix

gump218

Cadet
My engine indicates a mixture of 100/1 for "recreational use"... Commercial use is 50/1. I get a lot of smoke and routinely seem to flood the engine.... I had the water pump overhauled... Carb rebuilt and tuned up in 2002..<br /><br />Starts first time every time but bogs down underway......<br /><br />Any ideas? Should I go with the 100/1 mixture?<br /><br />.. This is aux power for a 20 ft 1967 Sloop <br />weighing in at 2600 lbs....<br /><br />Model Numer E6RCUD

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 6 HP Evinrude mfg in Belgium - Fuel/Oil Mix

Bob.... Stick with the 50/1 mixture. That other mixture will give you problems.<br /><br />Loading up would be due to a improper adjusted carb, a carb that needs rebuilding, weak ignition, something of that nature.<br /><br />If the engine is being used to push a 20 foot rig on a constant basis, the prop will need to be matched to the boat, otherwise it will load up with fuel due to a improper full throttle rpm rate.<br /><br />Any relation to "Forest"? (grin)

gump218

Cadet

Thanks - Just pulled the engine and cleaned a bunch of barnacles from the prop... I'll see if that makes any difference... Kind of figured that 50/1 was the better choice..... <br /><br />Are carb settings within the realm of a somewhat mechanically adept individual or should I leave that to the "pros"?<br /><br />"Life IS like a box of chocolates" - I was a "Gump" as my Dad before me and my brothers and sisters after me before the movie made it fashionable ...

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

I don't quite recall if the 1987 6hp has a slow speed adjustment needle valve or not (I think it does) but I'll include the adjustment procedure below.<br /><br />(Carburetor Adjustment - Single S/S Adjustable Needle Valve)<br />(J. Reeves)<br /><br />Initial setting is: Slow speed = seat gently, then open 1-1/2 turns.<br /><br />Start engine and set the rpms to where it just stays running. In segments of 1/8 turns, start to turn the S/S needle valve in. Wait a few seconds for the engine to respond. As you turn the valve in, the rpms will increase. Lower the rpms again to where the engine will just stay running.<br /> <br />Eventually you'll hit the point where the engine wants to die out or it will spit back (sounds like a mild backfire). At that point, back out the valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest slow speed setting. <br /><br />When you have finished the above adjustment, you will have no reason to move them again unless the carburetor fouls/gums up from sitting, in which case you would be required to remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor anyway.