6 -8 HP Johnson Gears Stripping Out

bbrnhart

Cadet
I have an 1992 8HP Johnson kicker motor on my 22' Bayliner. The pinion gear in the lower unit has gone out twice now. Is this a common problem if they are put under the load of a 22' boat?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 6 -8 HP Johnson Gears Stripping Out

Load shouldn't matter, bb.

I suspect the stripping of the pinion is a symptom, rather than a cause.

Check for:
slight bends in the the prop shaft and drive shaft.
bent shifting yoke.
shifting linkage not fully engaging dog clutch.
incorrectly assembled propshaft gearset.
incorrect prop for kicker application.

Good luck. :)

bbrnhart

Cadet

The first time it went out i found a used lower unit for less than a new gear. So the second time it went out it was in a different lower unit. As far as I know there is only one prop available for the 6/8 HP.

I just put a brand new pinion in. We'll see how that holds up. At $70 bucks each if it goes out again the motor goes in he trash. I only paid $400 for the motor.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

There are several props available for the 6/8, including a huge diameter, low pitch prop that might work better for yours.

Still, as JB noted, it remains that you may have something else causing the problem. How is the pinion support bearing? How is the upper bearing, just below the plastic housing? If these bearings are shot then the driveshaft my have a wobble, allowing the pinion to spin out of alignment. How are the forward and reverse gears? Perfect? If they're not perfect, they could be shortening the life of the pinion...
- Scott