6:1 Oil mixture ..Too much ????

kirkland

Petty Officer 2nd Class
After many hours spent with the motor over the past week I wanted to discuss this in its own post so it might help someone else later on... I have discussed this issue in another post that was about carbs timing and idle... which answered the Question I had there but started into this issue that doesn't relate so I think I should start a thread specifically about this over oiling issue...<br />So here we go<br /><br />Last season I Replaced the fuel tank. Went from a 6 Gal metal OMC to a 13 Gal Tempo Ultra PWC plastic... Purchased an E/J anti-siphon connector for the tank at the same time…not sure of the brand but think it’s a tempo... I'm not sure when this problem started but can tell you it was shortly after the fuel tank was replaced if not immediately after ... right now I’m Going through 1 Gal oil for 6 Gal Gas....smokes alot at idle...This weekend I had a DEC boat passing by stop to see if I was on fire while out on lake trying to check everything. :eek: Needless to say there is lots of smoke...<br />So since the issue here is what I’ve done to try and fix the problem <br /><br />1. New BRP Hose and Primer bulb from tank to motor<br />2. New Fuel Filter<br />3. New Fuel Lines and Clamps from filter to VRO<br />(The only section of hose I didn't replace is the short piece between the motor connector and the filter)<br /><br />With all this I still have a air leak some where I picked up a new portable 6 gal plastic tank and don’t want to use the same connector from the current tank... are there problems with the Tempo connectors...This is what my OMC dealer has in stock.. might this connector be the problem...the reason I’m sure I have a air leak still is that the fuel filter I picked up is clear glass and it was 3/4 air after a 10 min WOT run.. Before run it was all fuel... another hint that may help is that I can hear the VRO "Ticking" every second or so while at idle... <br /><br />My Questions<br /><br />How should I proceed without removing the VRO and pre mixing....? I want the VRO system to remain functional in the end...<br /><br />Is the tank I bought the right kind of tank…(should I have a pressure or vented)?<br /><br />Thanks In Advance<br /><br />And a big Thank You to Dhadley who has been a big help and hasn’t lost his patience with me during this whole ordeal…

mikeyzx2

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 6:1 Oil mixture ..Too much ????

well I would imagine 6:1 is a little much, I bet the plugs stay good and greasy. I have a 12 gallon vented tank in my 17ft Astroglass, and a 3 gallon pressure tank for my 8hp Johnson, and it's an OMC plastic tank. My book states that portable marine fuel tanks are subject to much greater pressure and vacuum conditions, so maybe bigger motors need vented tanks and smaller ones are okay with pressure tanks. I notice that when my 3 gallon tanks sits outside and gets warm, it swells up and I have to take off cap to give it some relief.

Walker

Captain

Get a 6 gal portable tank and try it. If it fixes the problem then you know for sure the problem is in your existing tank or supply hose.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Here is where a pressure-vacuam guage would come in handy. I would do as Walker suggests, try it on a 6 gal. tank. If it checks out OK, check the anti-siphon valve on the large tank, that could be your fuel restriction. All 6 gal. tanks are vented, some through the cap, others through the tank fuel connector. Those little steel pins you see on the fuel connector are vents.

kirkland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That was my next step but not sure i want to buy another Tempo fuel connector if this may be my issue....i have a new (still has the tags on it ) 6 Gal portable(plastic) that i want to try. my local dealer only has tempo and serria fuel connectors...also is there a way to tell which fuel connector i have...in the catalog the different makes sure look very close to each other..could i have recieved the wrong fuel connector(not for E/J )..??? is so how should i verify this...there aren't any p/n's on the connector just a ring of tempo logos....<br /><br />just a quick thought my setup in the boat only allows the primerbulb to lay horizontal on top of the tank...would this cause a issue.. at this point i dont think the fuel line and primer assembly is the cause, i have two brand new ones that havn't changed the outcome (one BRP the other Tempo)...

kirkland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Okay...have fresh gas in new tank with new connector and new fuel line and still smoking alot and still have air in system....another thing i just noticed this morning is that the fuel in my fuel filter seems to have oil in it as its dark in color after sitting all night...might this be a VRO issue....could these problems i'm having be VRO related not fuel line / tank ???

kirkland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

my VRO pump has a placard on it that says VRO2 alcohol resistant and has a Brown nipple on the top of it...not sure if this is original pump or not as motor is new to me three years ago...how can i test that VRO is good and no holes in diaphram .. ??

kirkland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Anybody have anything...?????

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

You can teat the pump but youll need the pressure & vacuume gauges. Might be worthwhile to let a dealer do it???

kirkland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Called dealer they said the pump is the issue… no need to test… need new pump ....so do I trust that’s it... if I’m getting oil back into my fuel ...sounds bad for VRO ehh....would this cause my over oiling as well...dealer says yes defiantly the issue ,,,but I don’t want to blindly blame pump...and I’m a little confused as I see air in my fuel filter... should it be solid fuel, no air ??....I’ve eliminated as much as I can at this point… I think... I can't find where the air is coming from...all new tank, connector, all fuel lines to pump, primer bulb assembly, filter...can't seem to make headway on this...but I can basically take this thing apart with my eyes closed now....what's you opinion...

kirkland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

dhadley ....I had a thought...in my little mind here ....I have on the starbord side of the motor near the carbs a black seliniod that has a red switch like device and a valve stem conenction how should this look ...I mean what position should the red switch be in all the way clockwise or counter clockwise ... ???

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

For normal operation the red lever should be parallel to the body. Thats the primer solenoid. <br /><br />There are some kits for that fuel pump. A lot of dealers are afraid to rebuild them.

kirkland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

found for $240... but sounds like pump ..??? i'll have it in the morning i guess..hope to be on water by 10 ..if i get it by 9 i should be okay...any gotya's on the VRO i should know about.. or it just straight forward ???

kirkland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Okay....To give a resolution to this issue I’ve been having....got a new pump yesterday and replaced it and Pulse Limiter...after everything was back together and running all is now normal...So i guess the pump was the issue....hope this helps someone in the future...<br /><br />Dhadley, and others<br /><br />Thanks for all the information and help you provided me on this problem your help was much appreciated...on another note I did manage to get a OMC SST 13 3/8 X 17 for this motor.. put it on last night as well will advise later how it goes...<br /><br />Thanks Jeff