'58 35hp rude goes reverse and uh reverse. Hmm something wrong.

falling

Cadet
Hi I Have a 1958 35hp Evinrude with mechanical shift (uses shipmaster control). I was out on the water today trying to adjust my carb to get it running good after being rebuilt. Adjusting went good but when I went to load it back up I could not get it to go into forward. after geting it out of the water. I went to investigate and I could get the motor to engage at the engine but not with the control at the helm. Put it back in the water and shifted at the motor. The motor did go into gear but it went into reverse instead of forward. PLease Help!!!

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: '58 35hp rude goes reverse and uh reverse. Hmm something wrong.

Hi,<br /><br />Same motor as mine, most probably. What's happening there is that the shift rod is not properly installed in the connector between the upper and lower rod. The bolt that goes through the brass connector has to align with the groove in the rod. It's easy to make an error there.<br /><br />Since forward gear is engaged by pulling the rod up, if the rod is not properly clamped in the connector, forward can't be engaged.<br /><br />Check this connector out and you'll find the problem. It's located behind a small cover on the midsection.