57 evinrude won't run

dsk

Cadet
i have a 57 evinrude twinsport 10, wont stay running. changed the plugs that were in their from champion j-6j to champion 832 / j6c is the gap still 30 and this the right plug? :confused:

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 57 evinrude won't run

Yes, DSK, the gap is still .030.<br /><br />Can you give us a little more info on how your engine is behaving and what you have checked?<br /><br /> :)

dsk

Cadet

i'm new with this kind of motors. it kicks over after 10 pulls or so and runs for a couple of sec then dies. motor was sitting for two years and my uncle said it was runing fine then. i don't see any ajustments screws on the carb. their is a box on top of carb that has two tunnels angleing inside of box . i thought it was a air filter but its not. is their points or somthing like that?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Howdy, DSK.<br /><br />Your engine acts as though it isn't getting enough fuel. If it has been sitting for two years it may have varnish in the carburetor.<br />It is also possible that fuel is not getting to your carb.<br /><br />Check the fuel lines carefully for leaks. Check that you primer really pumps the carb full of fuel.<br /><br />Put some premixed fuel in a spray bottle and spray it into the carb before you try to start it. If it fires right up, runs for a short time and quits, you have a carb gummed up.<br /><br />Try those things and get back to us. :)

alcan

Commander

Hi Dsk<br />Your motor has several operating fuctions that you should be familar with to operate it properly. My I suggest you obtain a manual. The public library has some books on this subject or you can buy one. As JB suggested your carb probably need cleaned. Also your motor uses the old presure tank fuel system, unless it was converted to a pump style. Your adjustments on your carb are the needle valves that stick out the frount of bonnet. If you will take a little time and do some reading on the operation of these motors, I am sure we can help you get her running great.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Hello.<br />It may well be that your engine is fine.<br />With double line pressure fuel tanks ,you have to make sure that the top is tightly shut that the tank is pumped up and that the tank and fuel line can hold pressure.It may be a hole in the fuel line or a diaphragm that has gone bad.<br />The easiest way to check that is by taking a bottle of fuel with a hose connected to the fuel inlet on your carburator or fuel filter on the side of the engine and held so the fuel will get there by gravity.<br />Try to start her that way.Whether she runs or not will have helped you localise your problem.<br />But do get a manual.

Allan19603hp

Petty Officer 3rd Class

DSK,<br /> Starts after 10 pulls. Are the plugs wet or dry? What I would do is try what has been suggested about the fuel supply problem. Then pull the plugs and connect them to the plug wires. Ground the plugs to the block,Metal of plug to block and observe spark as you pull it over or have someone pull the rope. Make sure you have a nice blue spark on both plugs. Be careful you dont get a little jolt from the spark. I am suggesting the spark check because these motors were notorious for having coils crack out and go bad. coils are easy to replace and easily available. If you need help or parts feel free to ask me my email is gra6961@usa.net. I would definetly check the fuel situation and then check the spark for sure.