56 Evinrude 7.5 tiller question

mettyfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just picked up a 56 Evinrude 7.5 tonight. Fired up perfect but seems as I move tiller or throttle it is getting stiffer. I unhooked stator arm and it seems pretty free. Any tips for lubing tiller pivot areas. Seems that the start stop collar expands also when you move tiller handle. Can that make it harder. Thanks for any tips. Mettyfish

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: 56 Evinrude 7.5 tiller question

If you remove the screw at the end of the grip, you can get in there and re-grease the innards. Lots of friction along the inside of the handle if the grease is dry or non-existant. Also, the collar can be collapsed a bit when you have it apart so that it seats tighter. A little oil along where the grip rides on the collar can help, too.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

It is common for the plastic bushing at the gear end of the tiller handle to tighten up from corrosion of the metal parts. When it does that, you might as well take it apart and scrape the corrosion out and re-lube it with some waterproof marine grease.

floatingwoody2006

Chief Petty Officer

i have had 2 7.5's that the aluminum "start, slow" wraparound got loose and bound me up..Try a zip tie around that part also..

Wishiniwuzfishin

Chief Petty Officer

I was having the same problem on my 1956 15HP . Couldn't figure out what was causing it to bind. Finally, the metal "tag" that floatingwoody2006 mentioned came completely out on mine. I used a zip tie just like woody said and it works much better now. I'm not sure if yours is the same as mine but take a look at my pics. I have a zip tie around the grip too since it cracked and a big piece fell out. I'm not even sure what the correct fix is on that "tag" but mine seems to work ok.

Attachments

• HPIM0646.JPG
    HPIM0646.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 0
  • HPIM0647.JPG
    HPIM0647.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 0
  • HPIM0649.JPG
    HPIM0649.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 0

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

The fix I've used for the collar is to gently squeeze it to a smaller diameter so it fits snugly on the tiller. Then a small dab of light grease on the inside of the grip. Requires disassembly of the end of the handle...

FYI - new grips are available through www.nymarine.ca