55hp Johnson/Evinrude

00scoots

Cadet
I gave up on dumping my money into a black hole of a 55hp Homelite.<br /><br />I'm interested in looking for a used 55hp "Johnnyrude", (I could have bought a new 4 cycle Johnnyrude with what I have in the anchor of a dead Homelite). Were the 55hp Johnson/Evinrudes made in twin cylinder models and, if so, what years were they made? Do they have any "quirks" I should be aware of?<br /><br />Thanks for your help.

walleyehed

Admiral
Re: 55hp Johnson/Evinrude

iboats generally has a good selection of good used, or refurbished engines, but about 2000, occasionally 1999 is about the oldest listed lately in the 50-60hp range.<br />Ebay "could" be a place to find one, but you never know what you are getting there.<br />Good luck, and do some looking around. You can call iboats and ask what they may have in your range that might not be listed.... :)

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Hello.<br />There are 1968 55 horse 3 cylinder Johnnyrudes and later they made 2 cylinder units again.<br />55 horse out of a twin is pushing it and there are plenty of set up blocks to prove it.However,if you do not intend to get the last ounce of power out of it you should be fine

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The basic JohnnyRude twin looper was made in several power ratings, from 40 to 60. All were(are) excellent engines when well cared for.<br /><br />Don't throw that Homelite away. There are people dedicated to them who would be glad to buy it for parts or restoration.

00scoots

Cadet

Thanks for the information.<br /><br />I wasn't sure if the twin cylinder Johnnyrudes had a better reputation than the three cylinder units.<br /><br />I sort of correlated outboard powerheads with motorcycle engines - big twins have more available torque at low rpm's than comperably sized 3 or 4 cylinder units. I like torque!<br /><br />Any particular years that had quirks I should avoid?

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Back it's its day, the 3 cylinder 55hp Johnson outperfromed the 55 Homelite in everything but smoke and fuel economy. They both were OK back then, but the newer motors are so much better. If you can swing it, check out the new Evinrude E-TEC motors, now with a 7 year warranty.<br /><br />Those older twin cylinder motors were not the smoothest around. The 55 and the 60 seemed to have the most drivability problems, though not all did. The 50 seemed to be the best of the lot from the early to mid 80's. The later twins, 40 and 50's, from the '90s are a lot better engines.

00scoots

Cadet

seahorse - Thanks for your reply. This is the information I'm looking for.<br /><br />Another question - what's a "looper"?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Scoots.<br /><br />A "looper" is a loop scavenged outboard engine. <br /><br />They are typically lighter and more powerful as well as more efficient than cross flow (scavenged) engines of similar displacement.<br /><br />A search for "looper" and "loop scavenged" will offer many thorough explanations of why the loopers are preferred except in very small outboards.