55hp Chrysler outboard

blm1858

Cadet
I've got a 55hp chrysler model#555hc seral#6532<br />I have ordered a manual but would like to know what could cause backfire.this motor has set up for a about 10yrs.It was running great before.I think it is a 1971.Coils are on the outside.<br /><br /> BruceLee Bmrdad@aol.com

rbruce63

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 55hp Chrysler outboard

Probably you have an running rich condition. Have the idle mixture checked. The manual will tell you what is the correct proceedure.<br /><br />If your motor sit for so many years just like mine, please do replace the water pump impeller, have the points checked for oxidation and have the fuel pump diaphragm replaced. This will save you headaches down the road to repair and enjoy your motor.<br /><br />For specific manuals for your Model year and S/N please check http://www.hu

rbruce63

Petty Officer 1st Class

Probably you have an running rich condition. Have the idle mixture checked. The manual will tell you what is the correct proceedure.<br /><br />If your motor sit for so many years just like mine, please do replace the water pump impeller, have the points checked for oxidation and have the fuel pump diaphragm replaced. This will save you headaches down the road to repair and enjoy your motor.<br /><br />For specific manuals for your Model year and S/N please check http://www.hu

rbruce63

Petty Officer 1st Class

Probably you have an running rich condition. Have the idle mixture checked. The manual will tell you what is the correct proceedure.<br /><br />If your motor sat for so many years hopefully in an uprgight position and winterized, just like mine, please do replace the water pump impeller, have the points checked for oxidation and have the fuel pump diaphragm replaced. This will save you headaches down the road to repair and enjoy your motor.<br /><br />For specific manuals for your Model year and S/N please check http://www.hurrikain.com/ChryslerMarineStore.htm <br /><br />Good luck!

rbruce63

Petty Officer 1st Class

Probably you have an running rich condition. Have the idle mixture checked. The manual will tell you what is the correct proceedure.<br /><br />If your motor sat for so many years hopefully in an uprgight position and winterized, just like mine, please do replace the water pump impeller, have the points checked for oxidation and have the fuel pump diaphragm replaced. This will save you headaches down the road to repair and enjoy your motor.Good luck!

rbruce63

Petty Officer 1st Class

Probably you have an running rich condition. Have the idle mixture checked. The manual will tell you what is the correct proceedure.<br /><br />If your motor sat for so many years hopefully in an uprgight position and winterized, just like mine, please do replace the water pump impeller, have the points checked for oxidation and have the fuel pump diaphragm replaced. This will save you headaches down the road to repair and enjoy your motor. <br /><br />Check http://www.hurrik

rbruce63

Petty Officer 1st Class

Probably you have an running rich condition. Have the idle mixture checked. The manual will tell you what is the correct proceedure.<br /><br />If your motor sat for so many years hopefully in an uprgight position and winterized, just like mine, please do replace the water pump impeller, have the points checked for oxidation and have the fuel pump diaphragm replaced. This will save you headaches down the road to repair and enjoy your motor. <br /><br />Check http://www.hurrik

rbruce63

Petty Officer 1st Class

Probably you have an running rich condition. Have the idle mixture checked. The manual will tell you what is the correct proceedure.<br /><br />If your motor sat for so many years hopefully in an uprgight position and winterized, just like mine, please do replace the water pump impeller, have the points checked for oxidation and have the fuel pump diaphragm replaced. This will save you headaches down the road to repair and enjoy your motor. <br /><br />Check http://www.hurrikain.com/ChryslerMarineStore.htm for specific and official workshop manuals for your motor.<br /><br />Good luck!

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

If the motor sat for 10 years you need to redo the whole fuel system. this can be done for about 25 bucks. Buy a rebuild kit for carb 18-7037 (NAPA $15.oo) and a fuel pump rebuild kit 18-7806 (NAPA $9.00) and about 6 feet of fuel hose. Take carb apart and remove all gaskets and rubber. Soak in carb cleaner over night and blast out with compressed air (keep under 30 psi). In all the small orifaces use thin wire to remove any gunk you can find. Rebuild carb with carb kit. Take fuel pump apart. Replace diaphram, main gasket, strainer gasket. Rinse screen with carb cleaner and blow clean. Remove two screws and remove center fuel seat and replace gasket (dont mess with press fit fuel seats unless springs are not working or you can see gasket is torn. These are tough to get out without breaking) Put new fuel line on and use good clamps on all fittings. Dump any old gas and buy a new plastic gas tank. (Walmart 20 bucks plus 6 dollars for chrysler gas fitting) Pump primer bulb till tight and check for leaks. If you find any fix them. <br /><br />Sounds complicated but a year ago I never did this and I did it in one weekend and my motor runs sweet. YOu have old gummed up gas in your system and you need to get that taken care of before you can do anything else. A guy local here rebuilds carbs for $150. Everything mentioned above is about one third that. If you have any problems or questions post them here. And dont forget the most important part buy one of these chrysler manual

blm1858

Cadet

Thanks fellows.I will try your suggestions.I should be receiving my manual any day.<br /><br /> Thanks Again<br /> Brucelee