55 Johnson 7 1/2 hp / Exploded drawing ect.

Jim Robbins

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I just picked up a 1955 Johnson 7 1/2 h.p. (7518)outboard motor, I would like to have some part drawings (exploded type)or any info. of this motor. Is there a someone who could photocopy or have photocoped and mailed to me * I would send the funds for this task, before. Get back to me for the details and what you have. Thank-you for your time and considerations!

rolmops

Vice Admiral
Re: 55 Johnson 7 1/2 hp / Exploded drawing ect.

What you are asking would be an infringement on copy rights.<br />Go to the left hand bottom of this page and click on "repair manuals".then look for Seloc "Volume One" This is an outboard manual for 2 cylinder engines from 2 to 40 hp from 1956 to 1972.The 1955 and 1956 7.5 are very simular.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Sorry, Jim. You are asking for copyright violation.<br /><br />Get a Service Manual. Ebay is one source, or you can go to kencook.com for a reprint of the OEM Manual. There are good, but less specific, aftermarket manuals here: http://www.boatmotors.com/manuals.html <br /><br />I doubt that it matters a lot, but a model 7518 is a '55 Evinrude 7.5, not a Johnny. Could have swapped cowlings.<br /><br />Good luck, and welcome aboard. :)

JB

Ooops. Slow on the keyboard again.

Paul Moir

Admiral

As I understand it, in Canada this isn't copyright infringement. The work is 50+ years old, the author is unknown, therefore it's in the public domain. That's not true for the US, just for Berne convention countries like Canada. I'm no expert though.<br /><br />But sorry, I don't have it. This guy has the parts manual though:<br /> http://www.knology.net/~tombeam/originalliterature.html <br /><br />(Evinrudes and Johnsons were identical around this time, excepting paint & trim)

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you want detailed engine diagrams you'll need to get a parts catalog for the motor. It will have most if not all the diagrams and parts lists for that motor. By the way I can't locate a model# for a 7.5hp in 1955, earliest shown is 1956. There was a 5.5hp in '55 though.<br /><br />For manuals or catalogs try MarineEngine.com or Kencook.com

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well I guess I couldn't locate it becuase I was looking for a Johnson not an Evinrude, still trying to learn how to read between the lines, (Johnson model# (7518)) :rolleyes:

Jim Robbins

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thank-you to all, bit of a typo, my motor is a (1955 Evinrude 7 1/2 hp. model 7518 serial 21981) Sorry! Now, let me get this correct, knowone will send me photocopy's of sections of a 50 year old motor, ect. (is this incase, I try to publish them?) I wonder if the CO. who made the manual for the 55 still in existence. Thank's

JB

The problem is, Jim, that commercial printing companies "own" the right to print reproductions of the original.<br /><br />Anyone who copies and prints copyrighted material to avoid buying it is, in effect, stealing it.<br /><br />It is iboats policy not to do or recommend anything illegal.<br /><br />You might find the Manuals in a well stocked public library, where you can legally copy individual pages for "research" purposes, but after you see and go through them you will want the whole things.<br /><br />Good luck. :)