55 hp adjustmet Question

Dave74

Cadet
I have a chrysler 55 hp outboard serial #1115 Model 5575 (by the way, what year guys?) is runing good at wot and midrange but sputters at idle and pops through carb, but remains running, sometimes. I think it is a spark advance issue, but i thought i would ask someone with more knowledge than me. ( first boat) Thanks.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Re: 55 hp adjustmet Question

Hello Dave and welcome to Iboats. It looks like your motor is a 1969. Is this a misfire or a backfire. If it is a back fire through the carb it is improper ignition timing

Rigby

Cadet

hey dave, had simmilar problem but with a twin carb model ,come down to the carby float levels being in need of adjustment.Make sure fuel + oil mixture correct and mixture screw adjusted correctly aswell .Hope this helps.

Dave74

Cadet

just does it at idle, gonna check my mixture adjustment and see if that is it......

scotiany

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Have you had your flywheel off yet? I took mine off and found one set of points were not opening. Hopefully it's not the timing but the Seloc manual gives a way of checking timing without the special tool(which you won't find anymore)

Dave74

Cadet

Had the boat out today, seemed to run and idle well,adjusted the needle while idleing in gear, idle just seems slow,do you speed up the idle by advanceing the timing arm on the top with the set screw, or is there a way to just turn up the throttle opening??

Rigby

Cadet

AS a startinng point for your mixture screw,tighten it up so it seats the needle,not to tight though, then back it off one 1 full turn and a 1/4. Make sure you turn the screw a full turn not just the slot on the end,(easy to mistake).From here you should be able to find the correct possition by turning upto 1/4 turns either direction.After you adjust ,run motor for couple off minutes before adjusting again,if necessary.When you have it right make sure the next time you fuel up the mixture is exactly as measured before.Because off the age off the motor,they can become temperamental therfore these small things need a bit more care.Good luck,let me know if this helps.

scotiany

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Dave, your're right. That's where you adjust your idle speed. Should be 700-750 rpm.