55 Chrysler Power Drain

degola

Cadet
I'm trying to get a '73 Chrysler 55 HP running. When i bought it it only had one coil (cracked). When I tried to crank it, the starter would not turn the motor over. I unhooked the leads to the coil and the starter spun the motor over nicely. I bought new coils for it and the starter still won't spin the motor. I suspect a short or something that is drawing too many amps away from the starter. Where do I start looking??

scotiany

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 55 Chrysler Power Drain

Did you try starting it with the spark plugs out and everything else hooked up?

novicetech

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 70 70hp chrysler that kinda did the same thing. turned out to be a weak ground connection. In my limited knowledge with my two outboards some electrical problems are simply weak connections. You have to have a good ground at the starter. Are you sure that the motor is wired right? Do you have a manual? When you say that it only had one coil on it, was it the same as the coils that you replaced?

degola

Cadet

I actually did try that, scot. At the time, i only had the one old coil hooked up. It would crank easy with the plugs out, but as soon as i put them in, it would barely turn. I then disconnected the coil and it turned over really easy with the plugs in. I now have two used " guaranteed" coils and it is doing the same old thing. I checked voltage on the pos and neg leads for the coils with the key in the "on" position. One set read about 12.38 volts and the other about .38 volts Also, the battery wires get really warm in the process of craning with the coils hooked up. Could the module be causing this?

scotiany

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Mine's a magneto ignition so I don't know much about CD ignitions. novicetech has a good idea about checking all the wiring(especially ground wires) and the surfaces they attach to. Don't be afraid to brush or sandpaper the surfaces thoroughly.

novicetech

Petty Officer 1st Class

Degola, if you think that the problem is related to the coils or the cd unit try disconnecting the blue wire on the motor wiring terminal. If it cranks normal the problem is probably in the ignition.If you have a ohm meter you can measure restistance on coils and check the blue wires coming from points to coils for shorts could be something as simple as a bare wire under the fly wheel.<br />Good luck.

daddy_coole

Cadet

i had the same problem on my force 150 , as soon as i connected a set of jump leads from my van battery it spun lovely , turned out to be the battery :rolleyes: dont forget volts dont mean power amps mean power .