50HP Mercury Oil Injection Problems

mguidry629

Seaman
1994 3 cyl 50hp Merc 2 stroke w/ oil injection

I obtained this boat/motor about 2 years ago. The oil injection did not work. The oil reservior stayed full. So I just mixed my oil with the gas the old fashioned way. All the sudden the motor magically started using the oil from the reservior. Essential using double the amount of oil it should. The reservior is getting close to empty now and the motor seems to running normal, but it has to be running rich with oil and I'm sure this is not good if continued for extended time.

Can I trust the oil injection system? I'm not even sure how it works or why it wasn't working or why it started working all the sudden. I don't mind bypassing that whole system and just mixing my oil with the gas. This will ease my mind knowing the mixture is right and I don't have to worry about oil injection failure.

Can I just let it use the rest of the oil in the reservior and leave it empty and just mix my oil and gas, or will there be an alarm? Or should I inspect the oil injection system and get it fully functional? What is the general concensus on oil injection systems from the early 90's?

Thanks and sorry for the dissertation.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Re: 50HP Mercury Oil Injection Problems

I have never run an outboard with oil injection, but from what I've read on these forums and what you posted, I'd remove that oil injection system because I don't see it as trustworthy. If it stopped once for who knows why, it could just as easily do it again. So for peace of mind and not having to wonder about it again, I'd forget about that system and go premix in the tank. At least that way you know for sure the oil is mixed and won't fry your OB... But you have to remove the sensors with that system as well because once it is empty it will probably make noise with the alarms and maybe keep the engine from starting as well... I just don't know how those oil injection systems are connected up and what they could affect when they are empty...