50hp johnson won't crank at all

I was out fishing with my son and had to troll home because my motor wouldn't start at the end of the day. This motor doesn't make a noise at all when I turn the key, which is puzzling because it has always been reliable till now. I really need to get this thing figured out and I am a helicopter mechanic, so I have some mechanical sense. I just need some advice to get me started in the right direction. It is a 1985 2stroke Johnson on a 17ft sea ox cc. Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Kane

Al-53

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 50hp johnson won't crank at all

check the inline fuse also...it is in the engine compartment...should be near the solenoid....

but also check all battery cable connections and starter connection..clean them good make sure all grounds are clean also and tight....

Al

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

one of the easiest "motor wont start" problems you could have...

could be as easy as the Kill switch disabled

the kill switch on a remote control motor is in the control...usually it has a laynard attached to it, but many times it doesnt..

some controls have it right under the key, others have a seperate attachment for it

good luck

Thank you for all of the replies. I went on vacation and went ahead and dropped it off at the shop. They said it was the starter solenoid and I had a hard time troubleshooting because of the battery cables. Thanks again for all of the quick replies