50hp Force Trim fluid replacement

Guys, pardon my ingnorance but I'm new at this. I have an 89 50hp Force outboard. My trim leaks down and I think that it might be because of low fluid levels. Question: where and how do I refill the trim fluid and what type of fluid do I use? Please be specific as I am a newbie. <br />BTW, I was able to fix a different prob w/the trim thanx to JB (just a bad relay).<br /><br />Jason

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: 50hp Force Trim fluid replacement

Problem probably not caused by low fluid, but you need to check it. <br /><br />Fluid, tilt and trim fluid or transmission fluid.<br />Or, if when you open it up, you see motor oil, then fill it with 10w30 motor oil.<br /><br />I believe you have a Force EXTERNAL unit. Meaning that the hydrolic cylinder is between the engine mounts, but the electric motor and pump are mounted off to the side, on the outside of the engine mount.<br /><br />You have an electric motor that is mounted on top of a pump(base).<br />Raise or lower the engine so that the pump and trim motor is vertical. Open the large 5/8 inch? plug which is located just below the motor, on the pump. Be carefull, the plug is made out of plastic. Fill to the bottom of the hole with fluid. <br /><br />Could be that your leakdown problem is caused by worn out orings in the pump assembly.

Thanx Roscoe,<br /><br />I think it probably takes the 10w-30 engine oil because when I trim the motor up, oil drips out of the pump. I will check the fluid levels but could be bad rings also.

Ok, there is a hex head screw on the bottom of the pump facing me and then a metal screw about 5/8" on the right side at the top of the pump but below the motor. The 5/8" screw is desingned to be removed by hand so I'm assuming that this is where I fill with fluid? I loosened the hex head a bit and a little motor oil came out. Should I drain the old oil before adding new? Also, to change the o-rings, should I remove the top from the motor to get access to the pump? Thanks...

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

No need to drain, just add oil to the pump.<br /><br />If you are going to rebuid the pump, you will need to completely disassemble it. I have no personal experience with this. I would seek out a repair manual that has a parts breakdown, and possibly repair instructions.