$500 to adjust the valves!

tfbrown1270

Petty Officer 1st Class
My 97 Toyota RAV4 with 280000 km is rattling like crazy. Its on the 3rd timing belt and just had the waterpump replaced but now I'm told the valves need to be adjusted...
I was going to do it myself since I've adjusted valves in many cars with o/h cams...feeler guauge and a couple of wrenchs and an hour or so BUT...Toyota tells me this thing has bucket and shims (???)....I've never heard of that set-up. They also tell me I would need a variety of shims and special training to do the work...are they pulling my chain or is this something new?

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander
Re: $500 to adjust the valves!

See if you can find a manual for it to check it out. Your expectations may be a bit high at 173,000 miles...

Come to think of it, PM Bob_VT. I think he has something to do with Toyota...

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I was told I had to have special tools to do the heads on my wifes Intrepid. I didn't use the special tools to lock the cams in place. I marked everything and put everything back together using my reference marks. The car ran excellent without any problems.

If I was you, check with independant garages. Dealers will sometimes tell you things to get your business. I'm sure that they aren't the only ones that work on Toyotos. Good Luck............SS

tommays

Admiral

I have only seen the shims on motorcycles

Easy on older suzukis one special tool and shims

On older Kawasaki you measure pull cams ,change shims ,install and time cams PRAY you got it right the first time

So i guess anything is posssable :)

Tommays

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I will ask a tech tomorrow at work about it.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

It's not a job for a novice. The cams have to be removed which means the timing belt has to come off also. The cam lobes do ride on a shim that sits on top of a cup which fits the bore the valve springs are recessed in. The cups are larger in diameter than the valve springs and about an inch deep.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

With it being that complicated, do a compression test first. With that many miles on it, the valves may need to be reseated/ground. Or change out the head with a complete remanufactured one.

Bob_VT

Staff member

Update.... I just spoke with our head Toyota Tech.... "it's a PITA and not an easy job" :(. Just as described above many people are right on the money.... measure.... remove cam..... pray and do it again and again.....

With that many miles and based on the year of the Rav..... start checking junkyards for another motor with lower miles. They are not as bad as you think and may be worth the $$$

tfbrown1270

Petty Officer 1st Class

CRAPPY NEWS UPDATE: thanks for all the help.
I found an independent garage who would do it for $200 and parts...they tore into it and said the valve lash was still fine BUT the rear cam (there are two) is worn, the noise I hear is not the valve lash but a fubared cam. They are going to price another cam (used) or should I look for a whole head (used)...or engine...what might they cost?
It is remarkable though that its gone this far and still doesn't need a valve adjustment!
But WHY has the cam worn out?...I have owned it since new and always changed the oil as recommended.

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

But WHY has the cam worn out?...I have owned it since new and always changed the oil as recommended.

You've already answered your own question:

My 97 Toyota RAV4 with 280000 km

Although we may take care of them to drive them forever, they don't build them that way. Sorry about the bad news. Maybe they'll find you a good used cam. I wouldn't put too much money into it unless it's in pristine condition everywhere else. If one engine internal has reached the end of it's lifespan, there could be others ready to jump, too...

Bob_VT

Staff member

Personally I would go for the entire head. Have it checked, planned, have the valves seated properly and not worry about it.

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I paid $800.00 for the valve adj on my Camry V6...and the thing came back tapping louder than when it went in...

They re-did it; but I still have noise. Runs great though...always has.

Better to have a little clicking than to burn a valve.

Chuck