50 to 60 hp 4 stroke motor install

tneker

Cadet
I have convinced myself that I can afford a new four stroke if I buy it online and install it myself.... <br /><br />I am debating between a Honda 50 and a Merc 60 EFI. I guess I was assuming that when one of these 200+ pound machines get dropped off in my driveway, I can pull of the engine cover and find a lifting hook to lift with a rented automobile engine hoist. Is this true? <br /><br />What is the best, safest method for a DIY'er to tackle this? I hope you don't say grab your biggest, strongest friends to come over and help, as all my friends are wimps.. :) <br /><br />Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.<br /><br />Thanks, Tneker

phatmanmike

Captain
Re: 50 to 60 hp 4 stroke motor install

i went to my local neighboorhood rentit store like rentcity, or urent, or whatever you have locally, threw down 30 dollars and got me an angine hoist. the car style ones, hydrallic, i swapped 3 diff motors in one day by myself. its not hard. and yes, they SHOULD have a lifting eye. if not look on ebay or heck, even i have one. lemme know, just pay for shipping and its yours...phatmanmike@yahoo.com<br /><br />check boats.net for good prices on brand new with warranty motors or http://www.edsmarinesuperstore.com/ <br /><br />if you are looking at a merc, also check the yamaha for any price differences, since yamaha makes the merc 4 strokes, also dont forget the new efi suzuki and johnsons, the mercs are carb motors and suzuik / johnson are efi!!!

phatmanmike

Captain

i just check and you can get a 2004 merc 4stroke 60 hp for 5299 or a 2004 johnson 60 hp 4 stroke for same price.... and do a search and ask ANYBODY on this board and they will say that hands down the jonson blows that merc away, mainly cause of the 3 lil letters... E..F..I

manitoba1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The new Merc's 60 4 strokes actually come with EFI and would be a good choice. The 60 Johnson/Suzi EFI (over 315lbs)is a heavier engine than the Merc. I have the 70 Suzuki and agree they are awesome though. If 60 hp is the max hp for the boat then go with the EFI merc because of the weight difference. What is the maximum hp rating for the boat? Important factor when choosing an new outboard engine.<br /><br />Go with the 60Merc over the Honda because of the EFI and larger hp (if price is similar).

tneker

Cadet

My max hp is 70, and I am really leaning towards Merc 60 EFI, plan to pull the trigger tomorrow.<br /><br />Gulp....<br /><br />Tneker

bossee

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hi,<br />Mercury 60 EFI is probably Your best alternative if You take weight into consideration.<br />There is no lighter 60 hp 4-stroke EFI outboard on the market.<br />I do not know of any negative thing with this outboard, at least what I have read in tests - it is an excelllent outboard. It has also support för Smartcraft.<br /><br />Good luck and post again when You have the outboard installed and have used it and tell us if you was happy with the outboard you selected.<br /><br />/Bo