50 pounds over the max

Status
Not open for further replies.

maccustom

Cadet
my trailer(rinker) max weight is 5000 my boat is 5050 (victoria 2750) ..will it work ?

gozierdt

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 50 pounds over the max

You're only 1% over the max weight, so it may tow alright, but it would really stress the trailer hard
if you hit potholes/bumps/etc. I'd call Rinker and see what is the limiting factor on the weight rating.
If it's the tires, that's an easy fix. If it's the axles and springs, that's a bit more expensive, but still
doable. If it's the size of the trailer frame, then you're pushing it.

Also keep in mind, if the boat manufacturers weight is 5050, that's without any of the stuff you trailer around in the boat. You could easily add 200-300 lbs or more, depending on what all you have in the
boat. Then you'd really be pushing the trailers capability.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

How did you come up with that weight? That's less than my 22 foot boat with 1/2 tank of fuel on board.

maccustom

Cadet

From the NADA
1978 Bayliner Marine Corp 2750 VICTORIA SUNBRIDGE - 27'
Engine Specifications
Quantity: 1
Horse Power: 300
Type: Gasoline
Hull Material
Fiberglass
Beam
8'0"
Net Weight

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

From a practicality standpoint if you are really close to the launch or store it at the marina on the trailer it would be no problem. If you pull more than a few miles you probably need to sell it and get a heavier duty trailer. Your boat is always going to weight more than the sticker by potentially several hundred pounds after fuel and gear. Just 50 gallons of gas weighs 300 lbs alone.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Walk for a day in shoes 1 size too small.

The net weight of the boat is dry, and with none of your gear and toys aboard.

Bad match. Try Rinker to see if the weight rating is upgradable to at least 5500#, better 6,000#.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

just a rough guess, but if you would weigh that boat today, i'm guessing it would be 6000+ pounds, not counting trailer! That spec weight doesn't include gas, oil, or a battery. It also doesn't include any onboard water, or all the stuff you add. (lifejackets, coolers, etc...) Finally, 5050 doesn't include 30 years of water soaking into plywood/fiberglass, and dirt.

jlinder

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Agree with smokingcrater. You are probably more like 6000#, or maybe even more. It is not just the trailer you need to worry about.

1. What is your hitch rated at? If it is class 3 then it is 5000#.
2. What is your vehicle rated at?
3. Now consider that even if you find it works you are pushing the limits of your equipment. Don't know how this will add up in added repairs.
4. On top of all that think about your insurance. Have an accident and wait until the insurance company finds you are overweight on any of these factors. Kiss any coverage you have goodbye.

All this equates to not a great idea to push it.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You should check the ID plate on the trailer again so you fully understand the numbers indicated on it. GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating) is not the weight the trailer can carry. It is the weight of the load in addition to the weight of the trailer. If the ID plate specifies "load capacity" or "maximum load @ xx PSI" that is the maximum weight the trailer can carry with the specified tires, at the specified air pressure. These are two very different sets of numbers. If the GVWR is 5000# you are grossly overloaded. Regardless, even if the weight is correct for your boat, the added "stuff" puts you a fair bit over the limit.

elkhunter338

Master Chief Petty Officer

Well if your trailer is in good shape, I would look it over real well, I would not worry about 50lbs. You can also reinforce your trailer and modify it. I took my trailer (galvanized) still in very good shape, it had 2-2,000lb axles and small tires (5.3x12) and no brakes. trailer tires had 4300lbs plus tongue weight. I added some 3" channel to the weak points in the trailer with brackets that bolted to the frame to reinforce the tongue area, now the trailer is solid, I also changed springs, axles (2-3500lb) and added kodiak disc surge brakes to one axle. Changed tires to 15" rated 1700lb load each. So now I have plenty of trailer, axles, and tires all for about $1800, lots cheaper than a new trailer.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

That boat carries 100 gallons of fuel so add another 600#. Add another 1000# for the trailer itself. Add another #300 for water and you are now up to near 7000# with no gear. I used to have the identical boat and we always figured it was close to 8000# total.

maccustom

Cadet

You should check the ID plate on the trailer again so you fully understand the numbers indicated on it. GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating) is not the weight the trailer can carry. It is the weight of the load in addition to the weight of the trailer. If the ID plate specifies "load capacity" or "maximum load @ xx PSI" that is the maximum weight the trailer can carry with the specified tires, at the specified air pressure. These are two very different sets of numbers. If the GVWR is 5000# you are grossly overloaded. Regardless, even if the weight is correct for your boat, the added "stuff" puts you a fair bit over the limit.

thanks just look at ID plate again its says MGTW 5000 i also look at the tries- 1760lbs with 50psi

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

thanks just look at ID plate again its says MGTW 5000 i also look at the tries- 1760lbs with 50psi

So your tires are right at the limit and you're probably a couple thousand pounds over the trailer's limit.

Not just a safety hazard, but any deformation of the trailer may deform the hull of the boat as well due to insufficient support.

N3UP

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The first speed bump you hit at the ramp, and that thing is gonna fly apart like the car at the end of the Blues Brothers movie.....

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

MGTW = maximuim GROSS trailer weight. That means you add the weight of the trailer AND the boat, AND its contents (fuel, water, coolers, gear, etc.). However, I suspect someone made tire size changes. 1760 x 4 = 7040 pounds which is 40+% larger than needed for a 5000# gross. Trailer manufacturers don't put larger tires on a trailer than they need to meet the GVWR rating (5000 pounds in this case) which is why capacity tags sometimes list several capacities based on tire size. Spring capacities also follow those tire size changes. Regardless, tires alone don't establish the maximum capacity by themselves. Springs, axles and the trailer frame contribute as well. I really think you need to weigh this rig and inspect it carefully so you know exactly what you have. The axles should have a capacity tag or a stamp on them.

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

MGTW = maximuim GROSS trailer weight. That means you add the weight of the trailer AND the boat, AND its contents (fuel, water, coolers, gear, etc.). However, I suspect someone made tire size changes. 1760 x 4 = 7040 pounds which is 40+% larger than needed for a 5000# gross. Trailer manufacturers don't put larger tires on a trailer than they need to meet the GVWR rating (5000 pounds in this case) which is why capacity tags sometimes list several capacities based on tire size. Spring capacities also follow those tire size changes. Regardless, tires alone don't establish the maximum capacity by themselves. Springs, axles and the trailer frame contribute as well. I really think you need to weigh this rig and inspect it carefully so you know exactly what you have. The axles should have a capacity tag or a stamp on them.

Yup check the axles. You have enough tire, maybe not enough spring, but the axles will be the first to go. I'd doubt the frame is an issue with most dual wheel setups, I'd bet the C-channel is 5" internally which should be good to go well beyond that weight. Others will whine about rated weights, but remember, the rated weight is the weakest link and probaby the axles and springs. Have a look at those first.

reel clownz

Seaman

My 22.5 ft 89 islander was 4000 lbs with the hard top and gear in it. Im surprised your boat is that light. As for the trailer. if i was you i would either buy a new one or buy a new set of springs and axles. When i got my islander it was a moored boat its whole life. My friend brought it down from lake ontario. When he was at the marina he had no trailer. The guy at the marina sold him a single axle rated at 3k or 3,5k lbs. It was a karavan. I thought it would be fine right. Well on my way home from lake erie in port clinton i blew a wheel bearing. The wheel didnt fall off thank god. I limped it down to the first pull off. I had to change a wheel bearing on the side of the highway, Not fun. Anyways, i bought i a new set of axles and springs installed them right in my driveway. Most trailer manufacturers use the same frame for several trailer models just change the springs and axels. If your going to put new axles and springs on, make sure you mark the placement of the old ones first. And when you get the new ones on. Make sure they are square to the trailer. If one side is farther ahead or behind it will not track straight. And it will chew up your tires. Hopefully this all helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.