50 merk flooding and wont start

skip4926

Seaman Apprentice
2002 Merc 50 hp 2stroke

Engine ran great for weeks and then after idling around for 45 minutes it would not start. Eventually flooded then started after an hour. The next day it would not start. Noticed gas in the water and in the bottom of the engine case. Replaced a leaking carb hose but it would still not start.

Fuel is passing the fuel pump and there is spark at the plugs. When I pump the primer ball the hose just after fuel pump pulses.

1. Will gas leak into the engine case when it floods?

2. How long does it take to unflood the carbs.

3. The engine just cranks and cranks and doesn?t even try to start. Before this happened it idled and ran 100%.

skip4926

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 50 merk flooding and wont start

Will gas leak into the engine case if badly flooded, or does it all drain through exhaust

RLT III

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If gas is where you say it is I would think your needle seats were not seating and cause fuel to pumped out of carb bowl. I've had issue's like that where i had to tilt motor up as high as it would go then watch the fuel drain out through the cowling and then it would crank up and good to go..
So maybe you could try what i mentioned lower it back down do not prime and choke and crank hopefully it will.

But it does sound like the needle seats to me

skip4926

Seaman Apprentice

can you replace the needle without rebuilding?

RLT III

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yes you can by just the needle seats for each carb but I would suggest going back with new gaskets if not you'll take a chance on them leaking no matter how tight the screws are and don't forget to set the float level after you install the new needle seats

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

First a spark test then a compression test.Then look at the fuel pump diaphram. Then if nothing is wrong look at the reeds.Post your results.J

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Fuel passes through the crankcase whether the carbs leak fuel or not. That's the way a two stroke engine works. The primer solenoid may be stuck open allowing excess fuel into the engine. The needle and seat as mentioned my be stuck open or not sealing properly, or the float level in one or more carbs may be stuck allowing excess fuel. If the primer bulb in the hose does not firm up when squeezed, the carbs need rebuilding as they are not sealing.

skip4926

Seaman Apprentice

I will check this weekend. I do know that the primer bulb does firm up and stay that way until i start cranking.

Thanks and I will post results.