50 hp w/ white smoke.

John5421

Cadet
I ran my boat over the weekend everything seem to run very well for the exception of white smoke coming out, it seems to be coming out with the water from the water pump. Being a rookie at this its the hole towards the top but below the motor itself. Its an 87 and I know that it is supposed just splatter. But the white smoke smoke comes out even more at full throttle. I just changed the head gasket resurfaced the head, put new impeller, and thermostat. What's the deal? Any advice would be appreciated.

turtle1173

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 50 hp w/ white smoke.

Hi,<br /><br /> White smoke is an indication that water is getting into one of the cylinders (vaporized water). Seeing how you have just resurfaced the head and changed the head gasket, the new gasket may not have sealed properly. I would take it off again and see what condition everything is in. It could be something is simple as not having all of the previous gasket removed. One more thing, did you torque the head bolts properly?<br /><br /> Let us know what you find.<br /><br />Shane

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

pull and check your plugs. If one or both are clean and shiney you are leaking water.

Safevet

Cadet

What is your oil gas mixture? I think most 2 stroke engines all smoke some.

John5421

Cadet

Thanks for all the replies, turns out everything seems normal. I took out my plugs and they both were pretty oily more than 3 weeks ago. That was the last time I took the boat out. I checked my plugs before going out last weekend and they looked good but now they are oily. Also shined a light in the plug holes to look at clyinders and pistons looks good. I figured if water went in there everything would look really shiney and clean. Because basically of the steam being released it would steam clean everything. So my guess is its my oil mixture it could have been a little richer than normal. Any other thoughts are welcome.