50 hp Johnson Year? with questions to follow.

GatorzBack2Back

Seaman Apprentice
Guys, I bought a trailer and had to take the boat with it. It's an 84 Bonita 18' with a Johnson 50hp outboard. They guy said it would turn over, but wouldn't start. So, I have decided to make this my first boat project. I am hoping you guys can give me the year of the motor so I can get the book and parts.

Also, I will be asking quite a few questions on here as well, as I haven't done a marine engine before. So, thanks in advance for all of your help, and I look forward to the self-satisfaction I will get when taking my first ride in a boat that I brought back from the dead myself.

Model #-- VJ50TLETB
Serial#-- G 03268949

Thanks for identifying the year for me, and if there is anything right off the bat that I need to watch out for, I would appreciate the heads up.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral
Re: 50 hp Johnson Year? with questions to follow.

Welcome to the forum.

I don't have my book around to look up the year but someone will. But what I will point you to is go look up in the FAQ's "Awakening a sleeping outboard" or something close to that. It will start you in the right direction.

And must be nice to be 'forced' to take a boat and motor when one buys a trailer :)

5150abf

Vice Admiral

That is a 1993, makes me wonder if the guy just didn't know what he had or if he knows the motor was terminal, he may have just wanted it gone.

That is a pretty sweet deal.

If it were me I would do a couple free things first just to make sure the engine is worth saving.

Will it turn over by hand and does there seem to be compression, listen for any sounds that shouldn't be there?

Hook it to a battery and see if it will turn over, if so do a compression check, both cylinders should be with in 10% and cold anything above 90-100 is good.

If it will turn over and has decent compression on both cylinders it should be worth saving, if not just the lower is worth several hundred dollars.

Good luck.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

imho, I have the same motor, the motor is worth working, this is what i do when i get a motor with unknown history. i remove the plugs, then turn the flywheel by hand, feeling for any rough spots. if it turn fairly freely, i then insert the compress tester, and turn over with the starter, and get the compression readings, i then do a spark check. on a 93 50 i would like to see atleast 120 psi, but as 5150 said 100 is ok. at this time i would connect muffs, and fuel, and try to start it. NEVER spray either/starting fluid into a 2 stroke motor, it has no lube, and burn too hot, (can burn a hole in pistion).

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=158086

i do not know why they had a 50 on that boat, it came with a 90hp or bigger.

did you get Title to boat, if not get the title before spending a cent on the boat. the motor is not titled.

you also have a private message.