50 hp force help

dave6558

Cadet
i am having a starting problem with my 1987c(cdi) force50hp , it starts if i hold open the throttle a little at the carb and runs to a high rpm but it just will not start or stay running at a idle . i changed the gas to a high quality mix and if course flushed out the line and disassembled/cleaned the carberator and peaked in on the reeds they looked ok(well seated to housing). <br />Its always had a rough idle and dies if the throttle isnt set just right at take off<br />i dont hear any mechanical damage when its running<br /><br />well thanks for any help dave

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Re: 50 hp force help

Hello dave and welcome to Iboats. There should be an idle adjustment screw located on the top of the carb above the choke. It is usually recessed into the carb and is adjusted with a flathead screwdriver. Turn this screw clockwise counting your turns till it lightly seats. How many turns was it set to. Normal is around 1 1/4 turns or possibly as low as 3/4 turns. Do not turn till it is too tight or you could damage the tip of the screw.<br /><br />This adjustment is best described in a clymor or syloc outboard manual. you can do a search on force idle adjustments and you may find something helpful there. My guess it that the carb will need a rebuild kit which cost about 15 bucks. You should take a weekend to rebuild the carb. Saturday remove the idle adjust screw, needle valve, float, and valve seat. Then soak it in fresh gasoline in a mason jar or anything you can find to submerge it. After that you will want to go though all the passages with a thin piece of wire and compressed air to blow all the orifices open including the jet. Put carb together with the rebuild kit and set the idle adjustment screw to 1 1/4 turn counter clockwise from lightly seated. You may want to replace all your fuel lines as well and put good quality fuel clamps on all the fuel hoses.<br /><br />If this makes the motor run you are done. Then go check out frequently asked questions forum here at iboats and read up on winterizing your motor. This is where most people develop fuel related problems because they leave the gas in the motor and it either gets stale, varnishes or builds up water. If this does not fix the problem you may be looking at rebuilding your fuel pump.

dave6558

Cadet
Re: 50 hp force help

oh no, i took off the head and i see some damage on the piston edge but the cylinder itself is ok<br />looks like a broken ring so far but i cant see it yet. compression was gone in top cylinder doing the finger test<br /><br />must have run on the one cylinder which explains the no idle start ,it had to be forced into running with the throttle opened a little.<br /><br /><br />thanks dave