50 Evinrude Not running in water

k5blazerboy

Seaman
I have been an avid user of this forum for probably 3 years now, and have never needed to post, because I have always been able to find the answer. I am finally stumped!

Motor info:
1973 Evinrude Lark 50hp (50273c)
I have owned it for about a year and have replaced the following:
-CDI
-Stator
-Diode

Motor has never given me too many problems, has always fired right up, even into December. Boat was stored for the winter mid-December after duck season.

Got the motor out of storage 2 weeks ago, got it running, ran great in the barrel, took it to the river one time and it ran and idled there as well (until the diode shorted the fuse) Finally got a diode yesterday, installed it, no more fuses blown, thought I was good to go.

The problem:

Got to the launch this morning (over an hour away) put the boat in the water, and it fires, it pops, it dies. It does this every single time.

What I have done:
-New gas/oil
-New plugs
-Compression test (125 on both cylinders)
-Has spark in the water
-Is getting fuel to the plugs while in the water (plugs were dark after many tries to get it to fire)

Visual Problem:
-Around where the lower unit bolts in it is leaking a dark fluid that smells like gas, not gear lube.

SOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooo...........................whats next??? Thanks guys, hope someone can help me!!! I don't wanna be putting too many more parts in this thng, because it cost $250, and I am getting to almost $200 in parts in one year.

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 50 Evinrude Not running in water

You may have sheared the flywheel key. Pull the flywheel and check it out. If it is sheared, replace it with a Evinrude key, do not use the ones you get at a hard ware store. Post back on your findings, Thanks, and welcome to iboats.

k5blazerboy

Seaman

Thanks! Just curious, how would the flywheel key sheering affect not starting when the backpressure is applied? It starts just fine when out of the water. Thanks again

boobie

Supreme Mariner

How did you check your spark??

k5blazerboy

Seaman

Just a simple holding plugs to the block, jumped quick, like every other motor I have ever had. Coils were checked before put away last fall.

macdaddyjpicard

Recruit

I have almost the same motor. I have the 50 evinrude model 50373r..... I'm having the same issue... It'll run with water muffs on all day. When I put it in the water it won't start..... I can back it into the water while started and it bogs down unless i give it throttle. Compression is 145-150 only has two cylinders.... was wondering if you came up with anything?

Thanks