50:1 Cheap Insurance?

fatpratt1996

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've noticed you guys saying to use 50:1 if you were afraid of the oil pump going bad while you are testing the pump itself. Is it going overboard if I were to do this on a regular basis. I have a '99 Merc. 125. I really want this motor to last as long as possible. Wife would kill me if I blew it up. What are the best maintenace tips you guys can offer? Thanks for everything.

Clams Canino

Commander
Re: 50:1 Cheap Insurance?

50/1 is the "normal" mix. It would almost double the oil if the pump is working properly. That's not a good mix for the long run.<br /><br />The later model pumps are *very* reliable. BUT if you want total peace of mind, disable the pump and pre-mix at 50/1.<br /><br />-W

MartyTn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have an '89 100HP Merc that I debated about this also. What sparked my worries was one of the plastic lines (that carries oil from oil tank to oil pump and from oil pump to fuel pump) breaking one day. Even though the oil pump continued and no buzzer sounded, I was losing partial (thank heavens not all) oil before it got into the mix. I caught it quick and did a compression test and no damage. But that sure got me to think also...<br /><br />Then I talked with as many folks as I could and I found that some of the bass fisherman were also trying to make sure they were protecting their big expensive motors by adding a little extra oil in case of pump/line failure.<br /><br />When I read the particulars of my '89 Merc oil pump in the Merc service manual I realized it ran at 50:1 only at WOT. At idle, my motor runs at 80:1, and the ratio is continuously variable from 80:1 at idle to 50:1 at WOT. <br /><br />Realizing I hardly ever run at WOT more than a few seconds to a minute or so to pull a skiier up, I did some calculations and my decision was to add one extra pint of 2-cycle oil to the tank for each 12 gallons of fuel I add. So, at idle, I'm still no more (or not much more) than 50:1 and at normal cruise I'm still in the ballpark of 40:1 - 50:1. I also run Merc QuickClean at 1-2 oz per 6 gals as recommended by my dealer, so the engine is constantly being cleaned. <br /><br />I've been doing this for 3 years now and the motor is doing great and I sleep a bit better knowing that if an oil line breaks again, hopefully I'll see a temp increase before I lose that powerhead...<br /><br />Many may disagree with this, but after thinking about it for a long time, it's what I decided to do...

fatpratt1996

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is that '89 100 comparable to my '99 125 as far as the ratio change?

LubeDude

Admiral

I think this is something we all fear in the back of out heads, (Frying our engines).<br /><br />Regardless of how much oil, oil injection or not, if you have a jet plug up the chances are that you are going to lose a cylinder or two. The direct oil injection engines which actually inject the oil right into the intake system have an advantage there. I think Suzuki and yamaha work like that.<br /><br />The best thing is still peventative maintenance, make sure your fuel is fresh and clean, filters changed regularly, and all boats should have a water separating filter installed, change the water pump impellar every two years. You should also decarb regularly as carbon under the rings is the number one reson for failure, anyway, its close to lean conditions. Useing even more oil may actually compound this problem.<br /><br />This is one reason I push synthetics like I do, (and take the abuse), your engine will just plain and simple stay cleaner.<br /><br />Do your part and boat happy. :D

MartyTn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm not sure about your model. Some of the folks here that work with many different models will know. You could get a service manual from Merc for your motor type to be certain. To know if it's variable look at the oil pump to see if there's a rod that connects the throttle linkage with a lever on the oil pump. If the oil pump lever moves as the throttle is advanced, then it's varying the amount of oil released into the fuel.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

also change them dang plastic oil lines every three years. I dont know how many mercs have blown due to that. I grab and twist every one I get in for any service. if it breaks it was bad.<br /> good luck and keep posting

fatpratt1996

Petty Officer 1st Class

What kind of synthetic oil do you reccomend? I am using Quicksilver at the moment.

FlyBoyMark

Ensign

rodbolt..you got it....every month at least the cover comes off and you should CLOSELY examine all the parts under the hood. Jus like your walk around before ya fly yer plane...go looking for trouble before there is some...so few guys do this. :cool:

fatpratt1996

Petty Officer 1st Class

These plastic lines of the "dang" kind, where might one purchace these? Should I get a good amount of this to have around the house or is it kind of pricey?