5.8L exhoust problem?

jwilkin

Cadet
I have a 1995 5.8L Volvo.<br />I just put it in the water to bring it around to the house.<br />Had been idling threw no wake for 10 min. Then pushed it up to 4000 rpm<br />Ran about 3 min and herd a loud noise, like a muffler coming off. I don’t remember if I turned it off or it quit. But smoke was coming from everywhere. I opened cover to check for fire. When the smoke cleared I found the port side lower exhaust hose had ruptured. Paint on elbow was bubbled up. The engine temp was 175.<br />Any ideas? Boat was running fine up to this point.<br />What should I check first?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: 5.8L exhoust problem?

sounds like the riser got clogged,when were they replaced?

bigbrownbuku

Master Chief Petty Officer

could be a stuck flapper where the y pipe joins the transom. i saw a posted photo of said problem here recently. could also be your risers are a bit blocked on that side and the rubber overheated due to lack of cooling water flow.<br /><br />the flapper is usally best accessed with the drive removed then shine a flashlight up the exhaust bellows to check. a bendy grabber is great for this job.<br />the riser age you shgould know better then us, if its a salt water boat and the riser is 4+ years old it may be that. also check your sea water pump for broken impellor blades, sometimes the water will take a path through only 1 side when the flow is less.<br /><br />next time you suspect a fire in your engine bay dont open the hatch and if you do have a fire extinguisher in your hand ready.

jwilkin

Cadet

I don't know, Probably never.I just bought it from a guy in Ohio last year. has 300 hrs on it.<br />Went out a couple times in the fall ran great.

mcleaves

Chief Petty Officer

Deja Vu.. Just went through this last summer c(cooked an exhaust boot) only ended up with the Coast Guard coming out to assist.. Mine was a 95 and I had just bought it. If they are original manifolds and risers (as I think mine were) you are due and it's likely the culprit. You need to pull the risers to know though.. <br /><br />That rubber makes quite a bit of smoke and STINKS don't it?<br /><br />I actually had more problems. It was hot enough to melt through a hydraulic line for my trim tabs and it cooked my relays for the tilt. So look closely at nearby components once you sort out the cause.<br /><br />M

bigbrownbuku

Master Chief Petty Officer

yeah usually an over heat like that will melt the trim ram lines which run beneath the y thru the transom.<br /><br />edit : found the post with the pic i was looking for. i know its an alpha t-plate but its the same issue. http://forums.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=24;t=016652#000002 <br /><br />according to volvo its ok for you to remove your flappers as they believe they are pointless. just check your riser to water level height is around 14 inches if not you may need a spacer.

jwilkin

Cadet

Hay thanks for the heads up on the other hoses.<br />I'll check the risers.<br />Had to get hauled in by Seatow.<br />Installing a Hydrodock today,then back to working on the boat.<br />Thanks

jwilkin

Cadet

Does anyone know the part number for the parts and shop manuals for this model?<br />Thanks

jwilkin

Cadet

Found problem. The impellor was trashed. Replaced it and the exhaust hose.<br />Put water hose to the input side of riser got plenty of flow.<br />Cranked her up and ran 30 min. never got over 120 F. Could put my hand on the riser, Warm but not hot.<br />Thanks for your advise.