5.7GL (LK) IMPELLER and GASKET MAKER ??

slothman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
hello all, I have a 5.7 OMC, 1997, PLKD model. I have the water pump removed. I am replacing the impeller. I have the "mickey mouse" shaped gasket, which I will use. My question is, do you use any silicone or sealer on the gasket area ??? I also have the volvo penta lube which I will be putting on the impeller.

One last thing, what is the TQ spec on the 3 small screws? I think its 2 pounds, which is just barely hand tight.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
That o ring can shift when installing eve when using what OMC said to use (gasket sealer) I use triple guard grease to hold it in place instead. Check for water leaks around the housing after installing when running on the hose.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Ahh, posted too fast, that 1997 is different than mine, it has the Volvo style pump on the engine, I don't know about those, only the 86-93 models with the impeller on the tail end of the upper gear housing.

slothman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ahh, posted too fast, that 1997 is different than mine, it has the Volvo style pump on the engine, I don't know about those, only the 86-93 models with the impeller on the tail end of the upper gear housing.
the 97, LK motor, is indeed different. the impeller is on the BACK side of the housing. And there is no O-ring. I used the gasket in the kit "dry". still working on other things so haven't ran it yet. I think it will be fine. The OEM gasket is actually not paper, it's about 1/8" thick.