5.7 slave cylinder wiring

komodo_goods

Seaman Apprentice
Gentlemen,
As previously discussed i have a 1998 sunesta with an older 1988-1995 5.7 in it. I'm getting close to being done with the wiring and have a question on the slave cylinder wiring.

Questions below:
1. I do not have any wire coming from the "I" ignition terminal and from doing some reading this should route to the + side of the coil to give some extra Amperage during starting.
Can anyone confirm for me that this is correct?

2. Also pictured is a random ground wire hanging out that I cannot figure where it would go. Any thoughts on this?

3. The alternator harness has a blue wire (always has power) AND a purple wire (switched power) that are terminated and no connection points available on the alternator so I'm thinking the harness was there for an externally excited field? Does this sound correct?

Thanks in advance for all the help,
Ken

20240219_162420.jpg

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
1, not needed on electronic ignition

2. Trace the wire

3. Look at the schematic for your motor in the factory service manual. Blue is not a wire color associated with the alternator. Dark blue is dash wiring. Light blue is oil temp.

kenny nunez

Captain
The black wire may have been connected to the slave solenoid on the “I” terminal to provide a ground. Try to start the engine with the wire disconnected, if it does turn over then the wire goes somewhere else. If the slave solenoid does not engage then connect the black wire to the “I” terminal. Most marine solenoids are non grounded base and use the “I” terminal as a ground source.

Fun Times

Staff member
Something feels off with this one for wiring connections purposes.

In searching the solenoid suggests this is Merc part number
76416A1 in which is/was suggested as used mostly 1971 - 1982 depending on engine model as noted in the where used area clicking the part number.

Though most of the wiring diagrams show the black goes to one of the smaller post's like seen in here, http://www.lgdonziclassic.com/pdfs/merc.pdf

Sierra solenoid part number 18-5801 that replaces: 89-76416A1, 985064 is suggested as "Grounded Base" and Sierra provided a diagram of sorts.
Also Mercruiser and ARCO brands mentions
Solenoid Grounded Base too.

I believe Merc service manual number 3 may have the wiring diagram needed for a better wiring routing visual but don't have access to one to confirm.
1708397584374.png

i terminal
S terminal
1708402723683.png

Further: solenoid style 65057A1 is also Grounded base but found there is a black wire running to a post imaged below for reference.
1708415005402.png

1708415171141.png

1708415212503.png

alldodge

Staff member
Agree FT has it

1 & 2. Put small Y/R wire on the I terminal and Black on other one. The coil needs a ground and in most cases doesn't care if it's on the "I" side or the other. Being DC it will still energize

3. The wires should go to the ALT as you listed unless the ALT was replaced with a one wire

komodo_goods

Seaman Apprentice
Agree FT has it

1 & 2. Put small Y/R wire on the I terminal and Black on other one. The coil needs a ground and in most cases doesn't care if it's on the "I" side or the other. Being DC it will still energize

3. The wires should go to the ALT as you listed unless the ALT was replaced with a one wire
I should mention the the engine currently starts and runs in current configuration without the ground wire hooked up to I terminal. FT said he thought the solenoid may be chassis grounded. If this is the case would hooking the ground wire up to the S or I terminal cause a short to ground?

alldodge

Staff member
I should mention the the engine currently starts and runs in current configuration without the ground wire hooked up to I terminal. FT said he thought the solenoid may be chassis grounded. If this is the case would hooking the ground wire up to the S or I terminal cause a short to ground?
Measure from I to case ground, should read 0.00 ohms
If you get something higher then it may go thru the coil

komodo_goods

Seaman Apprentice
Ok, so I think the issue is this is the incorrect Slave Solenoid, even though I understand they function the same. This P/N is a SAZ-4201 which looks to be used on anything from Kohler applications to heavy truck lift gates. If I found the correct solenoid for my application, it is an 89-96158, and based on the pictures, the one terminal would have a short ground lead attached to the mounting bracket. At this point, should I worry about getting the correct solenoid?Screenshot 2024-02-20 173046.png