5.7 OMC stalled after taking on some water, then wouldn't start again. 1992 Sanger TX

Kuuner

Cadet
I pulled the genius move today. put boat on the water, realized boat plug not in hole. RAN back to truck backed it into water, RAN back to boat, drove towards trailer, stopped motor and coasted back onto trailer. Pulled boat out and drained it with bilge pump on as well.

When drained, put boat plug in this time (Genius move for once). Started motor, backed out onto open water and boat stalled. Couldn't get it started. It's getting fuel. I am killing the battery.

Now, did I get the starter solenoid wet and would that make it not start? turns over but won't start. Water came up to floor in the back (By the motor) but, it didn't like sink or anything.

Needless to say wife is perterbed. Not the Mother's Day I was planning for her and the girls.

Any help you could provide to get the man card back from the wife would be appreciated.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 5.7 OMC stalled after taking on some water, then wouldn't start again. 1992 Sange

Do you have spark? Didn't pull the lanyard kill switch did you?

Kuuner

Cadet
Re: 5.7 OMC stalled after taking on some water, then wouldn't start again. 1992 Sange

Do you have spark? Didn't pull the lanyard kill switch did you?

Didn't pull anything that I'm aware of. I ordered the factory service manual and am waiting for arrival but as of now...couldn't tell a lanyard on my boat to lasso on my goat. I do think the starter solenoid got wet because, I did get it started for a bit why i got home today. I put the clam shells on her, turned the water on and after turning the motor for a while, she started up. Died after a couple of minutes though, which unfortunatley seems normal with this boat as she idles so low that sometimes she stalls.

I'm going to take her to Paradise Marine Tuesday. Have them do a full service on it. I want to throw up paying $350 to have an impeller and oil changed but, I need someone with more than the very very minor experience that I have, to tell me she's ok, or fix what needs to be fixed.

Once I have my manual, I'll try to service her on my own.

I guess it is the wet starter solenoid considering she started after a few hours of sitting.

I messed up my swim step today along with taking my neighboors mailbox out trying to get myself and the boat and family home. What a brutal day today was!

Pic of better times below:

Attachments

• boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 0

Kainon

Chief Petty Officer

If you have a wet starter solenoid it wouldnt turn over. If you have water in your gas tank from sitting it wont run or much or stall if you have water on your Ignition Solenoid and or spark plug wires then it will turn over but not start.

If you have points ignition and havent cleaned or checked them it will turn over but not start.

If you leave the key on but the engine isnt running you can over heat the ignition coil and cause it to not start or stay running.

Idlespeedonly

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Fine looking boat!!