5.7 Mystery rattle after repower

efdog

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi Folks,

I've recently replaced my 2001 5.7l GI-A DP-SM drive with a new 350 block and heads, new manifolds, new risers, knock sensor, shift cable, gimbal bearing, spark plugs, oil pan, gear lube...to name a few :)...First time out with the new engine, the heads were found to be defective, and the rocker studs came loose on the #1 cylinder sending the rod flying with a very loud bang. This happened at about 3500 RPMS during the break in. New heads on, and back to breaking in the engine yesterday. As you can hear in this video best after :40 I've got a ping / rattle (sounds kinda like church bells??) thing happening from somewhere in the engine compartment. My mechanic and I spent close to 10 hours trying to diagnose and could not find the source of this sound. Engine seems to be running great, but this is very very very annoying. We had a stethoscope everywhere imaginable, but could not find the source of this rattle. It sounds like two washers clanging together. It's inconsistent at idle and becomes more consistent at 1800 RPM's and up. It's rarely there in neutral, even with throttle bursts. It's not coming from the engine, heads, fuel pump, power steering pump, manifolds or risers. We couldn't get the scope onto the starter due to its awkward position. ...ANY IDEAS ARE GREATLY APPRECIATED...oh, and my mechanic also says it's not the exhaust shutters which apparently creates a similar noise once damaged on mercruisers and is quite common. I don't expect anyone to know what this is, just some ideas on what I might check, or if you've heard something like this before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVyYKU58d7Y

bnicov

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 5.7 Mystery rattle after repower

You didn't mention whether or not a valve touched the piston. It could be the crank bearings.

efdog

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 5.7 Mystery rattle after repower

The Valve didn't appear to have bottomed out according to guy at the machine shop who was originally going to re-thread the rocker studs. Instead I opted to go for new, new heads. I should mention that the rattle / ping / chime was there also during the first break-in run before the rocker stud issue, but not noticed before the repower.

As for crank bearings. Wouldn't that be heard with the stethoscope? We had the scope right on the block and it sounded fine.