5.7 L Merc I/O won't start

breckenrider

Recruit
I have a 5.7L Merc AlphaOne I/O that I just purchased on a 1990 Larson Lazer.I am told it is the original motor. When I bought it three days ago it ran on the water fine. Dry started it a couple times in the driveway and started right up, then ran it for a maybe five seconds then I turned it off.
Well, I took it to the lake yesterday and it would not start. Turns over fine, battery is strong (12 amps on the gauge), but will not fire up. The smell of gas is strong, could it be flooded? This is my first boat, not very experienced in working with boats, but can do the regular maint. items on a car (change oil, plugs, wires, etc).
What should I do?

krisnowicki

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 5.7 L Merc I/O won't start

what is your starting procedure? You need to first pump the throttle all the way down and then back up, this sets the choke. Then put it at about 1/4-1/3 throttle. then turn the key.

bamadave

Petty Officer 1st Class

Make sure you haven't accidentally hit the kill switch.

capecodder116

Petty Officer 2nd Class

First off...never, ever, even turn your engine over without water either via muffs or putting the boat in the water. You'd be amazed how fast you can destroy a rubber impeller on your water pump. Especially if the motor starts.

Takes three ingredients for an engine to start....air...fuel...ignition....you say you smell fuel....do you have spark..??

Bondo

Staff member

Dry started it a couple times in the driveway and started right up, then ran it for a maybe five seconds then I turned it off.

Ayuh,... And once you find the Spark,...
You'll be needing a New Impeller,+ possibly a new waterpump housing...