5.7 gi-c limp mode after compression test

CAPTKEV85

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey everyone. I recently purchased a carver Santego with two 5.7gi-c. One of the motor has a stuck valve which I knew from the compression test. Took it for a run today and motors both won’t go past 2500 rpms in gear. Now the duo props do have barnacles because it say in water all summer no movement. But I feel that with multiple compression test on both motors must of put codes on Ecms. Is there a way to clear them?? I’m gonna clean the props tomorrow because I do have some vibrations. Any help would be great thanks

alldodge

Staff member
Clearing codes won't make things run better. If problem is still there it comes back faster then it takes to clear them. If problem goes away then motor will start running correctly even if codes are not cleared

Need to find out what the codes are, if any are present?

Vibration can be from the drive and the motor misfire

Boat needs to be pulled, drives removed and everything inspected

Can read the codes using a paper clip and 12V resistor led

DLC with LED code reader.jpg

CAPTKEV85

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks for the info on getting codes. Starboard Engine is fine the port engine has cylinder #5 low compression. Both motors will not go over 2500rpms. I’m going to clean propellers tomorrow and try running it again. I noticed the riser temp sensor connectors are very loose almost not making contact. Is there a way to bypass? Thanks

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I don’t think this is a limp mode related issue to be honest. I’d be looking more towards them not achieving rpm due to not planing...for what ever reason. Of which there are many. Some might include...totally wrongly pitched props (after engine swaps unless it was ok previously with these new engines), trim position, tabs position, hull fouled...props damaged...weight...water in fuel etc etc.

CAPTKEV85

Petty Officer 1st Class
The marina where the boat was stored was forced to put it in the water so they can provide provide parking for customers. So it sat since May in a slip. I’m hoping it’s the growth causing this issue. The port motor will either get a head job or full reman once it’s on the hard.

alldodge

Staff member
The temp sensor is just a switch, when it gets to hot it closes. To disable, disconnect wire

CAPTKEV85

Petty Officer 1st Class
So update I took it slow to an Island by me today dropped anchor and jumped In. All 4 propellors had a ton of nickel sized barnacles on them. An hour of scraping and she planes off no problem and cruises at 3400 rpms. I still have engine work to do on the port motor. Hopefully once I pull head it’s just a valve job.